[fosc] Weekly Update

kristen hopper krhop@earthlink.net
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:07:04 -0700

Greetings all,
Well it was a very sultry day in the canyon last Saturday. The few brave
souls who turned up kept cool by pouring cool drinks of creek water on
some of our gasping out-plants in the restoration area. With any luck
this extra boost of moisture will help those newly establishing green
things get through this hot spell.

We also carefully removed all of the bits of Cape ivy that we could find
within the planted area. Considering the vigor with which this noxious
weed is flourishing on the opposite side of the creek - it was a happy
surprise to find it in only four manageable spots. That's the good news,
the bad news is that it has been recently discovered that Delairea
odorata is actually producing seed in the Marin Headlands, eek.
California Exotic Pest Plant Council (CalEPPC) is taking donations for
Cape ivy biocontrol research. They also have a great newsletter that you
get if you become a member. CalEPPC, c/o Sally Davis, 32912 Calle del
Tesoro, San Juan Capistrano, CA. 92675-4227.

Our next Saturday morning workday will be held on July 19th from 9-12.
We will meet in the usual spot at El Centro and then car pool up to the
Monterey Blvd. stand of redwoods. The idea is to focus on conservation
of a patch of redwood sorrel. This plant is part of a typical healthy
redwood understory. Unfortunately, due to disturbance caused by logging,
trampling and encroachment by English ivy this patch is a tiny remnant
of what should be happily blanketing the redwood forest floor in the
Sausal Creek watershed. Perhaps if we beat back the English ivy and
Himalayan blackberries we'll preserve a genetically local stand of
Oxalis oregana for use in future local revegetation efforts.

Work at the nursery - well, you wouldn't believe the turn out ! We had
600 volunteers visit for two days last Friday and Saturday. It was
incredible, there is not a weed left standing. And what a great
conversation piece those "hooved locusts" made at our volunteer
appreciation party. The work performed by humans focused on
transplanting a new but appropriate native for the creek and giving hair
cuts to our very vigorous California blackberry. Thanks to every one who
came out and worked. Thanks also to those of you who came out to be
appreciated. Hope you do feel that way. FoSC would not exist if it were
not for all of your different strengths, interests and enthusiastic input.

Happy Interdependence Day,
Kristen Hopper
FoSC