[fosc] Weekly update from the field

kristen hopper krhop@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:43:43 -0700

Hi all,
As the ground dries out and the drama of our summer drought reaches a
cracked clay kind of crescendo - we are reminded of the uniqueness of
our seasonal cycles. California is well known for it's rich biological
diversity. Throughout the state there is an incredible range of
temperature, rainfall, altitude etc., which of course contributes to our
famed biodiversity. Right here in our own little slice of outer coast
range to bay watershed we have a surprising array of different types of
biomes from redwood forest to riparian corridor with mixed
hard-woodland, chaparral and grassland in between.
The Restoration Committee has been working since it's formation last
year on a way to focus our talents and energies as a group dedicated "to
protect and enhance" the watershed's ecological diversity. Currently, we
are considering basing our program on an approach which addresses one
site within each of our watershed's five biomes. This is not only an
exciting way to focus our efforts but it will also bring educational
opportunity to the work that we do on our regular Saturday work
programs. We, of course, will have to continue to triage work on
explosive invasive plant populations but having this new framework will
give us an opportunity to become truly familiar with each of the five
key biomes within the upper watershed.

So -our next scheduled Saturday morning work program will actually
involve conserving the redwood understory off of Monterey Blvd. Meet on
July 19th at 9 a.m. at the El Centro trail head to carpool up. Bring a
favorite blackberry or ivy removal tool if you have one. Wear long
sleeves and long pants or layers (it will be cool under the big trees ).

This Saturday 7/12 there will be plenty of pleasant potting up to do
under the parachute. The nursery will be open from 1:30-4.

Kristen Hopper
FoSC

"Every species is bound to its community in the unique manner by which
it variously consumes, is consumed, competes and cooperates with other
species. It also indirectly affects the community in the way it alters
the soil, water and air. The ecologist sees the whole as a network of
energy and material continuously flowing into the community from the
surrounding physical environment, and back out and then on round to
create the perpetual ecosystem cycles on which our own existence depends."

E.O. Wilson from The Future of Life