[fosc] Many hands make light work

kristen krhop at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 1 19:50:12 PST 2006

Hi all,

Here are the up-coming February volunteer events.
We need help particularly in the Grassland Site and nursery areas. The
up-coming (May 7th) Bringing Back the Natives Garden Tour will bring
folks from far and wide to the nursery and we would like to have it
looking it's best. The garden tour will also be the time of our first
ever plant sale. So if you've been meaning to come out and help out -
now is the time. The work we do during the cold wet months will help us
shimmer and shine in May. Also if you put in 20 volunteer hours between
now and the May sale - you get a sneak preview and first dibs at the
plants on the Saturday prior to the sale. Scroll down for the schedules
of the three related programs.

Restoration Program Saturday mornings the from 9 till noon
February 4
Grassland Site
Remove invasive re-sprouts, tend plants that went in during our winter
solstice planting party, and plant  grassland  areas that need
attention. Meet at Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery.

February 11
Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery
All day work party in the nursery!!! We've got lots of seedlings
popping up in the green house and we need to get them transplanted as
soon as possible. Join us for a morning propagation session. Bring a
bag lunch and stay on till the afternoon, if you'd like..

February 25
Riparian Site
Help finish up this year's new planting on the west side of the creek,
adding cover and diversity to the creek banks at Dimond Canyon. Meet at
the El Centro trailhead.

Nursery Program Saturday afternoons from 1:30 till 4 pm
Join me and the regular nursery volunteers for propagation sessions. If
you've been wanting to learn more about plants in general and natives
in specific, meet at the nursery at 1:30. We will work till 4 or later
as the weather gets warmer.
February 4
Transplant seedlings and rooted cuttings

February 11
Transplant seedlings and cuttings, host the Bringing Back the Natives
Garden Soiree from 2 till 3 and then if volunteers are interested folks
will be caravanning to see a nearby native garden in Butters Canyon.

February 28
Transplant seedlings and cuttings, tend stock.

Seed Collection Thursday mornings from 9:30 till 12:30
Thursday  02/02/06 Joaquin Miller Park.
Meet at the fire gate on Sanborn near the Visitor Center

Thursday 02/09/06 Dimond Canyon
Meet at the Bridgeview trail head off of Leimert

For more info, directions to meeting places, questions, and suggestions
contact
Kristen Hopper
Field at Sausalcreek.org
387-9744