[fosc] oak tree cut

Sam Cohen Sam at Energy-Solution.com
Sat Feb 4 19:36:22 PST 2006

I would like to request that the City and County follow noticing
procedures and flag any trees along the creek they want to remove and
allow for public comment. The oak Mark mentions is (make that was) a
large mature tree at the entrance to the canyon trail. It will take
longer than most of us will live to see a similar size replacement tree
grow. The tree did not appear to be an imminent hazard. Similarly, the
oldest oak in Oakland was almost removed without a permit because it was
a "hazard". We have lost these two big oaks and other trees that in
hindsite could still be alive. When acacias are removed, they are all
tagged. Certainly, as much or more care should go into decisions to
remove large oaks.

Similarly, I also noticed some trees down in the creek. We have repeated
discussions about them being good for the creek and then also they get
removed without notice.

Sam Cohen

(510) 663-9928

	-----Original Message-----
	From: fosc-bounces at lists.sausalcreek.org
[mailto:fosc-bounces at lists.sausalcreek.org] On Behalf Of Mjrauz at aol.com
	Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 7:16 PM
	To: FOSC at lists.sausalcreek.org
	Subject: [fosc] oak tree cut

	In case you have not seen it, the City cut down our oak tree at
the head of El Centro trail on Thursday.  Again without red flag
permits, they came in unannouced and removed the tree. The tree appeared
morbund. This past summer it had dropped its leaves and may have been
stressed by a leaky water main at its roots. We were waiting to see if
it releafed this spring.  I guess we will not have that opportunity. Our
ham-fisted city arborists are not trying to coordinate with FOSC at all,
evidently, the Dimond oak public outcry at its cutting had no impact on
them. It is really demoralizing to me that we work to improve city
property only to be ignored when trees that impact our work are removed
without even an acknowledgement of our interest.

	Mark Rauzon