[fosc] Response to Dimond Planting

Sue Morgan jmpnpnenviroed at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 18:22:09 PST 2006

My response below....

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:11:18 -0800
From: "Edward Goehring" <ebgb at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [fosc] An affordable plan to beautify Dimond's main streets,
        park and other public areas
To: "Dimond Improvement Association" <dimond at mailman.lmi.net>

   As I was digging up 'excess' iris bulbs in my garden yesterday, I
had a thought for an affordable plan to beautify Dimond's main streets
and
public areas: encourage local gardeners to donate bulbs and other
self-propagating plants to be replanted in medians, the library, Dimond
Park, planters
placed along the business district sidewalks, etc.
Our household will happily donate callas, iris, freesia, cannas,
gladiolas, geraniums, jade plants, kaffir lilies, Zeus's Beard,
nasturtiums and Wandering Jew. We can also donate drought-resistant
California
native seeds.

   Does anyone else think this is a workable idea?

Edward G

As a member of an organization that works hard to
reduce the number of invasive plants in the Sausal
Creek watershed, I would counsel heavily on planting
natives in Dimond.  I too am excited at the prospect
of 'greening' the business district but think a concerted
effort of education regarding the use of natives might
assist us all in the long run. By planting natives with
signage we could educate passersby (and those of us
not in the native know) about plants that were here before
any of the immigrant population arrived.

Bush Monkeyflower blooms from July-October and is
lovely.... easy to propagate and quite hardy... love sun
so could easily go on the north side of the street along
MacArthur...
California Fuschia blooms right into November-- also
likes sun...

There are over 100 natives in the Sausal Creek watershed
and I feel its important for the Dimond which is where
Sausal Creek runs to bring as many natives as possible
into the lives of our District as possible... to increase
understanding of their importance to water quality and
as a bridge to that resource, Dimond Park.

The Friends would be more than happy to consult with
you all on this as the more native plant coverage we have
the cleaner the creek and the more likely that folks will
be encouraged to plant natives in their home gardens where
increased habitat for wildlife is a direct result. In the home
garden natives reduce the use of water once established and
so are important in our frequent drought years as they do
no require watering over the long rainless summers.

Sue

Sue Morgan
Education Director
Friends of Sausal Creek