[fosc] how to get free natives

Kathy Kramer kathy at kathykramerconsulting.net
Sat Mar 25 19:31:16 PST 2006

I was going to add a second thought to my original post regarding
obtaining free native plants, but a yowling child induced me to press
"send" too quickly.  I was thinking that there are most likely a
number of native plant gardeners who have volunteer natives, or
cuttings, that could be used for the median strip and sidewalk
plantings. I could offer a number of plants from my garden; I suspect
others could as well.

Are there any at all funds available?  Nurseries offer discounts to
non-profits.

Also, last year Annie's Annuals (one nursery) donated 15 flats of
natives to my son's pre-school; not all were annuals.  Multiple
nurseries could be contacted and natives requested.  I think
contacting several nursuries could be a good source of free natives.

Natives could also be solicited through CNPS' newsletter, or the Cal
natives list-serve.  Recently I asked hosts on the Bringing Back the
Natives Garden Tour for plant donations that a non-profit could sell,
and we got a terrific response.

Kathy