[fosc] SF Chroniclewatch article includes Dimond Park, Sausal Creek

Edward Goehring ebgb at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 21 17:01:03 PDT 2006

SF Chroniclewatch article includes Dimond Park, Sausal Creek

HELP WANTED: EARTH DAY
Suzanne Pullen

Friday, April 21, 2006

CHRONICLEWATCH
Is something broken in your neighborhood? We want tips from communities in
San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Marin, Napa, Sonoma, San Mateo
and Santa Clara counties.

Call (415) 777-7170
Or e-mail chroniclewatch
@sfchronicle.com.

Volunteers needed in Oakland: "Clean it. Green it. Mean it." At least that's
what Oakland is hoping its residents will do Saturday for Earth Day. The
city has 75 cleanup and beautification projects planned and needs hundreds
of volunteers to help out. Efforts include planting, cleanup and storm-drain
stenciling. Venues range from small adopt-a-spot locations to large-scale
activities. Oakland public works spokeswoman Jeannette Edgerly says the
city's creeks -- Temescal at Cavour Street and Redondo Avenue, Sausal at
Dimond Park, and Arroyo Viejo at Krause and 77th avenues -- need the most
help. "The creeks really only get attention on Earth Day and Creek-to-Bay
Day," Edgerly says. Public works director Raul Godinez says volunteers make
a big difference in caring for the city's aging infrastructure. "My first
personal volunteer experience was helping pull weeds and remove rocks from a
vacant lot that was being converted to a baseball field," Godinez says. "It
was a very rewarding experience and since then, it has become a core value
for me." Volunteers will gather at 9 a.m. at one of nine staging areas,
including the creek sites and Lake Merritt's boating center on Bellevue
Avenue. For more information on these or other locations and projects, call
(510) 238-7611 or visit www.oaklandpw.com --

Who's responsible: Raul Godinez II, Oakland public works director, (510)
238-3961; rgodinez at oaklandnet.com

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/21/BAG7CICCA31.DTL