[fosc] Earth Day Success

kristen krhop at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 26 10:10:01 PDT 2006

Earthians,

Thanks to all who came out out and put their backs into this
difficult but important work. And a very special thanks to all who
took on the extra responsibility of a leadership roll.

Great work was accomplished on Earth Day last Saturday.
Beginning down stream:

Barry Place -
The Bi-annual trash and debris clean up at Barry Place is paying off.
Reports are that (as we have experienced in Dimond) the volume of
rubbish to clean up is decreasing. And as a new step volunteers began
the task of ivy removal, with the long term plan of replacing the ivy
and acacia on the site with native trees and understory. This spring
the Barry Place volunteers planted creek side species to add native
diversity to the creek bed.

The Ivy Beleaguers -
led a might siege on the ivy threatening to suffocate the oaks behind
the Scout Hut in Dimond Park.

Demonstration Garden - most of the work focused on the ivy this year
but some dedicated folks tended our wild and lovely garden in Dimond
Park.

Mulch Madness - a support crew moved mulch where it was needed

The Cape ivy Crusaders - in Dimond Canyon got a got start on removing
the strip of non native nasties between the creek and the new native
plantings on the west side of the creek.

The Clean Sweep Crew - removed the a whopping amount of acacia and
broom on the west side of the canyon.

Trail Work - work on Old Canyon Trail was done as a stop gap measure
to prevent the canyon walls from sliding into the creek until we can
get the city to fix the failing (badly eroding the canyon walls)
storm drain system.

Kid Krew - looked at bugs in the creek and did some mulching along
the trail

Up at the Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery

We built 12 tables for plants.

And installed steps for a trail up to the scenic overlook.

Cleaned out and (almost all the way) enclosed the shade house.

Weeded and enclosed the front gate garden - hopefully this will
dissuade the deer who have taken to browsing our lovely little garden
which has been gnawed to the ground in places (bad timing b/c it is
meant to be lush and full for the May 7th garden tour).

Weeded and tidied much of our plant stock for our first ever plant sale

Mulched the work area like mad!

Did some weeding and planting in the Cascade grassland - check it out
if you've never seen the planting at the lower end of the JMP
Cascade. Loads of purple needle grass has successfully established.

And last but definitely not least - another huge swath of acacia was
cleared on the slope below the nursery.

Thanks a million,
Your friendly Field Coordinator
Kristen Hopper