[fosc] Sport fishermen? In Sausal Creek? -- We need some signs in Dimond Park to help protect the creek

Edward Goehring ebgb at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 3 09:06:43 PDT 2006

Sport fishermen? In Sausal Creek?  -- We need some signs in Dimond Park to
help protect the creek

  Yesterday I chased two 'sport' fishermen out of the creek below Dimond
Park. When I spotted them, these two men wearing hats with a New York logo
on them were wading down the creek, making too much noise for any real
fishing, baiting the hooks on their lines.
  I informed them that many people had worked a long time to make the creek
safe for fish once more and asked them not to fish the stream. They replied
that their California State fishing licenses allowed them to fish in Sausal
Creek and that they would continue. I then pointed out that Sausal Creek
runs on private property below Dimond Park and that they were trespassing.
In fact, trespassing on my property at the moment. They got belligerent. I
said I'd call the police. They departed up the creek, vowing to return to
fish.

   Perhaps the Parks department could post a sign or two at the park
boundary, letting park visitors know that Sausal Creek between
Wellington/Dimond Park and MacArthur is not a portion of the park and is
private property? Maybe add a line to the sign about NO FISHING?

   Those of us fortunate enough to have Sausal Creek in our back yards are
also its protectors. The Parks Dept. could help us do our job by posting
signs that would discourage trespassers from littering, damaging creekside
plantings and killing the wildlife in the creek.

Edward Goehring

ebgb at sbcglobal.net
510 336-1256 phone
510 530-3308 fax