[fosc] Zero

Ralph Kanz rkanz at earthlink.net
Wed May 3 10:19:09 PDT 2006

Two years ago we asked the State to prohibit fishing in Sausal Creek.
We worked with the Friends of 5 Creeks who wanted Codornices Creek
closed.  The Berkeley City Council passed a resolution in support of the
proposal, but the City of Oakland did not do the same thing.  I wrote
Jean Quan  for the Friend of Sausal Creek asking for a resolution of
support and she never responded to the letter.  I also wrote to
Assemblymember Wilma Chan and did not receive a reply.  Without the
support from the City and our local state representative the Department
of Fish and Game was unwilling to support the proposal.

Fishing should be prohibited in Sausal Creek.  Unfortunately fishing is
legal with the following regulation: Last Saturday in April through Nov.
15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. The limit is
Zero Fish.  In other words catch and release fishing only.   Codornices
Creek got these regulations: Closed to all fishing all year.

I believe the Fish and Game Commission is taking up Sport Fishing
regulation changes again this year.  We could again attempt to get a
closure in place.

Ralph Kanz