[fosc] Take of Pallid Manzanita

Ralph Kanz rkanz at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 28 13:17:56 PDT 2006

Dear Chief Farrell:

As you know the Pallid manzanita (/Arctostaphylos pallida/) is a State
endangered and federally threatened species.  Recently your department
has taken steps to protect these plants during vegetation management
activities.

I am sorry to report that a plant was cut, apparently last week, in
spite of having "Do Not Cut" marking tape tied to it.  The plant was
located on a road-cut along Skyline Boulevard at the site where the
Friends of Sausal Creek have been working to improve the habitat for the
Pallid manzanita.  While I believe your department has been acting in
good faith to prevent such incidents, the current measures appear
inadequate to prevent needless take of this protected species.

This latest incident points to the need for the City to expedite the
preparation of a Vegetation Management Plan and the CEQA review to
support it.  Better oversight of contractors performing this work must
also be implemented.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Ralph Kanz