[fosc] Creek To Bay Day success

kristen krhop at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 10:26:19 PDT 2006

Greetings Friends,

I want to thank all who ventured out last Saturday for helping to
improve the ecological health of the Sausal Creek watershed.

Lots of trash was hauled out of the creek in Dimond Park. Further
upstream in Dimond Canyon an intrepid crew pulled out larger debris
(car parts, bicycles, rails, and a shopping cart to name a few). A
special thanks to Sam Cohen for taking the extra effort to see that
the scrap metal got to a place where it could be recycled. Down
stream at Barry Place in the Fruitvale - the bi-annual trash pick up
has blossomed into a neighbor led restoration project, ivy is being
removed and this winter when the rains begin FoSC with the help of
neighbors and partners will begin to convert the vegetation cover
from 99% non-native mostly invasive species over to the native
riparian and upland plant species.

In the Demonstration Garden, volunteers did a splendid general fall
clean up. And the El Centro trailhead was cleaned and buffed up by a
crew led by a neighbor who has pledged to adopt the spot.

The other theme of the day was Oak Liberation. I have not counted yet
but many oaks, bays and willows were freed from ivy. This effort is
part of the larger plan of spreading the word about keeping Oakland's
spectacular coast live oaks healthy. We'll keep you post about
further efforts in this department.

Up at the nursery, the essential restoration support work of
propagating local natives and tending our crop went on successfully.
There was also an intrepid crew on the slope below the nursery
chopping acacia re-sprouts.....

All of the work done was a great help. Thanks to everyone who lent a
helping hand.

Kristen
FoSC
387-9744