[fosc] Field this week

kristen krhop at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 11 12:02:48 PDT 2006

Howdy Friends,

Well here's the update.
Last Saturday we had a wonderfully successful work day in our
Grassland Restoration Site. Ecologically minded Castro Valley High
School students came out and helped by pulling broom seedlings out of
the upper grassland area (above our native plant nursery). Later in
the morning we went down and worked on enlarging the ever growing
acacia free patch below the nursery. We can now see all the way to
the bottom of the slope and hope for as much natural recruitment of
native bunch grasses and forbs below as we have had in the successful
acacia removal area above the growing grounds.
In the afternoon, regular nursery volunteers diligently plugged away
at catching up with transplanting seedlings and some new enthusiasts
came along and worked on fall clean up. It felt great to get the
Sunny Growing Area spruced up. Next we'll tackle the shade house!

To help out this week

Nursery Work Day
This Thursday 10/12 from 10 am till 1 pm meet at the Joaquin Miller
Native Plant Nursery. We'll spend our time transplanting and
continuing the fall clean up.

To get to the Thursday work day from Hwy. 13 take the Joaquin Miller
exit and turn east up the hill.
3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn
This turn is easiest to find turn by looking for the sign in the
median of the road that says "Native Plant Nursery". The road is
labeled Sanborn to the left and Robinson to the right. Note that
Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to Lincoln further below but it’s not
a real road entrance.
Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road
to the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off
the right side of the road. You can also park at the large parking
lot to your left.
Walk past the gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the
fork past the gate go left, shortly after you will see the nursery on
your left. The walk is  about 1/4 mile.

Cape Ivy Site noxious weed removal
Saturday morning 10/14 from 9 till noon.
Last year we planted the cleared half of this site. This year we need
to continue expanding the cleared patch by pulling and bagging this
noxious weed. This is a good way to get to know one of the most
invasive weed species we are facing. The California Native Plant
Restoration Team will be out working with us.
Meet at the corner of Joaquin Miller Rd. and the upper loop of
Sanborn Rd.

To get to this Saturday's morning work day from Hwy. 13 take the
Joaquin Miller exit and turn east up the hill.
3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn
This turn is easiest to find by looking for the sign in the median of
the road that says "Native Plant Nursery". The road is labeled
Sanborn to the left and Robinson to the right.
Note that Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to Lincoln further below but
it’s not a real road entrance.
Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road
to the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off
the right side of the road. You can also park at the large parking
lot to your left.
The Cape Ivy Site is actually back at the intersection of Sanborn and
Joaquin Miller Road. Walk back towards Joaquin Miller Road, just
before you get to JM Road you will see a yellow gate blocking the
fire road to your left. Turn and walk down the fire road past the
playing field/meadow. The project site is where the trail splits at
the end of the playing field.

Nursery Program
Saturday afternoon from 1:30 till 4:30.
There are two types of jobs at the nursery. The first is of course
plant propagation. Right now our green house is bursting with
seedlings that are just calling out to be transplanted. The second
job is the general back work that keeps the nursery functioning such
as moving plants and caring for the growing areas. Nursery work is
also is a great way to get up close and familiar with the local
native flora.

To get to this Saturday's afternoon work day from Hwy. 13 take the
Joaquin Miller exit and turn east up the hill.
3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn
This turn is easiest to find turn by looking for the sign in the
median of the road that says "Native Plant Nursery". The road is
labeled Sanborn to the left and Robinson to the right. Note that
Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to Lincoln further below but it’s not
a real road entrance.
Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road
to the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off
the right side of the road. You can also park at the large parking
lot to your left.
Walk past the gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the
fork past the gate go left, shortly after you will see the nursery on
your left. The walk is  about 1/4 mile.

Hope to see you out there,
Kristen Hopper
Nursery Manager