[fosc] turtle

Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com
Tue Oct 17 08:36:36 PDT 2006

Mjrauz at aol.com wrote:
> There was a western pond turtle in the el centro pool today, been
> there for over a week or more. Wonder where it came from and how long
> it will last?- given the upcoming floods. They are sort of rare these
> days and are a state-protected species.

Chances are, someone saw it on sale somewhere and bought it for release
as a good deed. I'm not turtle-savvy enough to recognize breeds, but
often see released turtles in Lake Merritt - where they die of liver
failure if they spend too much time in the saltwater before some
volunteer catches them and carts them up to the turtle paddock by the
nature center.

If the El Centro pool is freshwater and has a good spot to dig in, the
one there might last a fair while - better than at the lake, anyway.

--
- Hilary Powers - hilary at powersedit.com - Oakland CA -
-   Freelance copyediting and developmental editing  -