[fosc] Field this week

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:39:52 PDT 2006

*FOSC News from the week…*

*A huge thanks to volunteers from the California Native Plant Society (CNPS)
and the Piedmont High's AP Environmental Science students for making our
noxious weed removal at the Cape Ivy Restoration Site a huge success. With
13 volunteers we were able to remove 22 garbage bags of **Cape**
**Ivy**from the site. FOSC would like to extend a special thanks to
Greg Wolfard of
CNPS for co-leading this event.*

* *

*HOW YOU CAN HELP….*

* *

*Transplanting at the Nursery: Thursday 10/19 from **12:30-3:30*

I invite you all to come up to the Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery this
Thursday afternoon 10/19 from 12:30 till 3:30 to help get those little
seedlings in a nice fresh pot of their very own. Or if transplanting is not
your cup of tea - help me clean up the shade house to make room for the new
green babies. Directions to the nursery are included below. Contact me,
Kristen Hopper, at 510-387-9744 with questions.

*Nursery Program: Saturday 10/21 from **1:30-4 p.m.*

There are two types of jobs at the nursery. The first is of course plant
propagation. Right now our green house is bursting with seedlings that are
just calling out to be transplanted. The second job is the general back work
that keeps the nursery functioning such as moving plants and caring for the
growing areas. Nursery work is also is a great way to get up close and
familiar with the local native flora. Directions to the nursery are included
below Contact FOSC's Nursery Manager, Kristen Hopper at 510-387-9744 with
questions.

*In the Field (Redwood Site): Saturday 10/21 from 9am-noon*

You are welcome to join us this Saturday as we work continue our restoration
of the Sausal Creek Watershed. We will be putting some erosion control
measures in place to help protect slopes and trails from the winter rains.
The work party will meet at the Monterrey Trailhead (see directions below)
at 9am. We will work from 9-noon. It is best to wear long pants, a
long-sleeved shirt, and hiking boots or other closed-toe protective footwear
at this site. Contact Kathren M. Stevenson at 510-388-5676 with questions.

*Directions to the **Monterey** Trailhead:*

>From Park Boulevard, just below Highway 13, turn southeastward onto
Monterey(it's a frontage road, here.) Stay to the right. After 1500',
just past the
Montclair Golf Course, look for a trash can and trailhead sign. The trail
here leads down into the redwoods -- the small stone bridge may not be
passable immediately after big rain. Our Redwood Understory restoration site
is a narrow band along the switchbacks that lead up to the Bridgeview Trail
(1,000 feet beyond this trailhead is a pedestrian tunnel that leads under
Highway 13, and into Joaquin Miller Park.)

*Directions to the Nursery:*

To get there from Hayward take Hwy 13 to the Joaquin Miller exit. Turn right
on Joaquin Miller Rd. and go up the hill about 3/4 mile get in the left hand
turn lane and turn left onto Sanborn Rd. The Road is labeled Sanborn to the
left and Robinson to the right.  Note that Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to
Joaquin Miller Rd. further below but it's not a real road entrance. Drive
through park until you come to a fork in the road. The road to the right
will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off the right side of the
road. You can also park at the large parking lot to your left. Walk past the
gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the fork past the gate,
go left, shortly after you will see the nursery on your left. The walk is
about 1/4 mile.