[fosc] FoSC Week at a Glance

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:19:20 PDT 2006

*FoSC WEEK AT A GLANCE*

*THE UPDATE...*

Howdy folks,

A big thanks to those from Piedmont High and Monarch Academy who came out to
knock back the invasive species at our Redwood Site. We look forward to
planting our newly cleared patch this December. There is no Saturday Morning
Restoration Program this week, but scroll down (past the nursery work day
announcements) to find out about two other opportunities for this
weekend. And speaking of the nursery, we are within hours of getting the
shade house into shape thanks to the help and dedication of the wonderful
volunteers who came out last Saturday. We also got hundreds (very
gratifying!) of seedlings and yearlings transplanted done in preparation for
the winter planting season.

*HOW YOU CAN HELP...*

*Nursery Work Day, Thursday 10/26, **10am to 1 pm*

This Thursday meet at the Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery. We'll spend
our time transplanting and continuing the fall clean up. See directions to
the Nursery below.

*Nursery Program, Saturday 10/ 28, **1:30 to 4:30 pm**.*

There are two types of jobs at the nursery. The first is of course plant
propagation. Right now our green house is bursting with seedlings that are
just calling out to be transplanted. The second job is the general back work
that keeps the nursery functioning such as moving plants and caring for the
growing areas. Nursery work is also is a great way to get up close and
familiar with the local native flora.

*Directions to the Nursery:*

1) To get to the Nursery from Hwy. 13 take the Joaquin Miller exit and turn
east up the hill.

2) 3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn This turn is
easiest to find turn by looking for the sign in the median of the road that
says "Native Plant Nursery". 3) The road is labeled Sanborn to the left and
Robinson to the right. Note that Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to
Lincolnfurther below but it's not a real road entrance.

4) Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road to
the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off the right
side of the road. You can also park at the large parking lot to your left.
5) Walk past the gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the
fork past the gate, go left. Shortly after you will see the nursery on your
left. The walk is about 1/4 mile.

*East** **Bay** CNPS Plant Fair and **Sale**, Saturday 10/28 and Sunday
10/29, **10am-3pm*

Saturday 10/28 from 10 till 3 and Sunday 10/29 from 12 till 3 at the Native
Here Nursery, 101 Golf Course Drive, Tilden Park Berkeley. For more info
check out their web site  http://www.ebcnps.org/

* *

*Oakland Parks Commission Survey, Saturday 10/28, 9am-noon*

*Volunteers Needed to Survey Parks Throughout the City! *Join in on the
Oakland Parks Commission park survey. Read below for more details. The
Sausal Creek watershed contains 10 parks!!
1. Joaquin Miller Park
2. Castle Canyon
3. Dimond Canyon
4. Dimond Park
5. Shepherd Canyon Park  (Shepherd Canyon Bike Path is currently owned by
EBRPD, they're negotiating a land-swap, so it would become Oakland's, and
EBRPD would   get some territory along Skyline)
6. Sulphur Springs/ Marge Saunders Park (renamed after a long-time park
activist person)
7. William D Wood Park
8. Sanborn Park
9. Central Reservoir Park -- not sure on if this is owned by the city or by
EBMUD
10. Fruitvale Bridge Park

As residents of Oakland, we enjoy more than 2,300 acres of parkland.
Unfortunately some of our parks do not get the attention they need to keep
them beautiful and inviting. On Saturday morning, October 28th from 9 amuntil
noon, Oakland Parks Coalition is planning a city-wide survey to determine
the condition of our parks.

Data from this survey will be analyzed and compiled into a report which will
be presented to Mayor-elect Dellums and the City Council. OPC's survey will
bring to the attention of city officials specific maintenance concerns that
need to be addressed.

To conduct the survey OPC needs lots and lots of volunteers. Come to the
Garden Center in Lakeside Park, 666 Bellevue at 9 am. After refreshments and
instructions about how to conduct the survey, volunteers will fan out in
small groups to assess several parks in each Council district.

I hope that you can spare a few hours of your time for this important
undertaking and that you will refer others to OPC. To sign up for Love Your
Parks Day, please reply to: loveyourparksday at gmail.com . Please provide OPC
your full name, phone number and Council district. OPC will get back to you
with parking instructions and more information about this event.

Cheers,

Kristen Hopper and Kathren M. Stevenson