[fosc] FoSC Special Thanksgiving Report

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:01:15 PST 2006

*FoSC WEEK AT A GLANCE *

*HAPPY THANKSGIVING!*

*THE UPDATE...*

Howdy folks,
All of us here at FoSC wish you and your families a very special
Thanksgiving. We are grateful to all of you, who support us throughout the
year with your ideas, your time, and your donations. There will be
no activities this weekend, in light of the holiday, but the planting season
is upon us, and there are a few very important events listed below for you
to put on your calendars.

*Bank Failure Update*
As many of you know, there has been a trail slide in Dimond Park. After some
administrative delays, Michael Thilgen/Four Dimensions is poised to begin
work on the slide along the trail in Dimond Park this week. The City of
Oakland expects the work will take a week or two. The team will be
stabilizing the trail with some stakes, cables and boards and back-filling
the hole with drain rock and then covering with soil and mulch. The area
below the repair will be reinforced with additional dogwood cuttings that
will help dissipate the energy of the flow at this outside bend where we
know we have unconsolidated materials and an unstable area. The City of
Oakland will evaluate this temporary fix at the end of the rainy season and
will reevaluate what, if any, next steps need to be taken. Thanks to Michael
and Four Dimensions for doing this great work!

*Save the date!* *FOSC 10th Anniversary Party...*

FOSC's 10th Anniversary Party will be held March 24, 2007,4:00-7:00 p.m. at
the Joaquin Miller Community Center. Stay tuned for more details!

<field at sausalcreek.org>
*HOW YOU CAN HELP... *
**
*End of the Year Donation *
The Friends of Sausal Creek have made a big splash during our ten years of
action. Many wonderful volunteers have helped build a great organization
that protects the Sausal Creek watershed. It's that time of year when we ask
for your help. We're hoping to raise $8,000 to help sustain our current
roster of programs—the restoration efforts, the public education, the native
plant nursery,the monthly speakers program, and more. Now is the time to
show how much you care about FOSC by sending us an end-of-year
tax-deductible donation by cutting out the coupon from our newsletter
(available at Monterey, Bridgeview, and El Centro Trailheads) or by going to
our website www.sausalcreek.org and donating online. We'll be grateful and
you'll be glad, too.Thanks for your help in keeping FOSC flowing.

*Planting the Grassland Site, 12/9*
We are hoping to start putting plants in the ground at our grassland site on
Saturday December 9th, and we're going to need some hands to get the job
done. We'll meet at the nursery and work from 9am-noon. Let us know if you
can help! RSVP to field at sausalcreek.org.

*Winter Solstice Planting Party, with lunch following 12/16... *

Get ready for our big Winter Solstice Planting Party, 12/16. Come out and
show your support! RSVP to field at sausalcreek.org . We'll be meeting between
8:30 and 8:45, and will plant from 9am-noon. After that we'll meet back at
the Dimond Rec Center for a free lunch!

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at FoSC!