[fosc] FoSC Week at a Glance

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 15:15:19 PST 2006

*FoSC WEEK AT A GLANCE*

*THE UPDATE...*

Howdy folks, It's time to plant! We'll be planting natives at various sites
for the next three Saturdays. This Saturday we'll be at the Redwood Site.
The following week we will plant the Grassland Site. The culmination of all
this planting will be on 12/16, when we will plant multiple sites and
celebrate the Winter Solstice with a lunch afterwards. We hope you will be
able to join us! RSVP to field at sausalcreek.org.

*Redwood Planting Day, Saturday 12/2, 11 am-1 pm. *
Come help us plant the native redwood understory with Earth Team and the
Lawrence Hall of Science. Meet at the Monterey Trailhead at 11 am.

*Directions to the **Redwood Site (**Monterey** Trailhead)*
**The trailhead for this site is on the frontage road of Hwy 13 South at
Park blvd. Take 580 towards Oakland and then exit Park Blvd. Turning north
on Park, go all the way up the hill and turn right (southeastward) on the
frontage rd for HWY 13 S. This road is called Monterey. Stay to the right.
After 1500', just past the Montclair Golf Course, look for a trash can and
trailhead sign. The trail here leads down into the redwoods -- the small
stone bridge may not be passable immediately after big rain. Our Redwood
Understory restoration site is a narrow band along the switchbacks that lead
up to the Bridgeview Trail (1,000 feet beyond this trailhead is a pedestrian
tunnel that leads under Highway 13, and into Joaquin Miller Park .)

*Nursery Program, Saturday 12/2, ** 1:30 to 4:30 pm**.*

There are two types of jobs at the nursery. The first is of course plant
propagation. Right now our green house is bursting with seedlings that are
just calling out to be transplanted. The second job is the general back work
that keeps the nursery functioning such as moving plants and caring for the
growing areas. Nursery work is also is a great way to get up close and
familiar with the local native flora.

*Directions to the Nursery:*

1) To get to the Nursery from Hwy. 13 take the Joaquin Miller exit and turn
east up the hill.

2) 3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn This turn is
easiest to find turn by looking for the sign in the median of the road that
says "Native Plant Nursery". 3) The road is labeled Sanborn to the left and
Robinson to the right. Note that Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to
Lincolnfurther below but it's not a real road entrance.

4) Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road to
the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off the right
side of the road. You can also park at the large parking lot to your left.
5) Walk past the gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the
fork past the gate, go left. Shortly after you will see the nursery on your
left. The walk is about 1/4 mile.

--
Kathren M. Stevenson
Restoration Coordinator