[fosc] FOSC Week at a Glance- Winter Solstice Edition

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 16:20:41 PST 2006

*FoSC WEEK AT A GLANCE*

*THE UPDATE...*

A huge thank you to students from Piedmont High AP Environmental
Sciences and the East Bay Naughties for making our grassland planting day an
unqualified success. We got 500 plants in the ground, just in time for the
afternoon rain.

This weekend is our highly anticipated *winter solstice planting* day. If
you are planning to attend, *PLEASE *RSVP to field at sausalcreek.org. Meet at
the Scout Hut between 8:30 and 8:45 am. We'll work until noon and then
celebrate with a winter solstice lunch. *See details below. *

There's a good chance there will be some rain (good for the plants). Bring
your raingear, if you have it. If the rain gets heavy for a minute, those
working nearby can always duck inside the Dimond Recreation Center. Because
of the work it takes to stage this event, we will be planting rain or shine.
Come prepared to get a little muddy and have a lot of fun!

****Note: Because of the Planting Party, there will be *no nursery program
this weekend*.

*WINTER SOLSTICE PLANTING PARTY*
*December 16th, 8:30 am- noon, followed by lunch*
**
Just as the Winter Solstice brings the darkest day of the year, the rainy
season is accompanied by the greening of plants adapted to our Mediterranean
climate, and a new crop of native plant starts from the nursery. Join the
Friends of Sausal Creek in planting of  8 different restoration areas in the
Sausal Creek Watershed.  We will meet in Dimond Park at the Scout Hut at 8:30
am and will plant our native species from 9-noon. Then we will celebrate
with a lunch back at the Dimond Park Recreation Center at 12:30 pm. Lunch
will be provided by Friends of Sausal Creek, together with all of the tools
you might need for planting.

*DIRECTIONS TO THE SCOUT HUT IN DIMOND PARK:*

>From Hwy 580, take the Park Boulevard exit, and turn north, towards the
hills. Go 1 mile (through the Glenview District) and turn right
on Wellington. There are a few parking spaces at the corner of Wellington
and Canon St. From this entrance you will see the Scout Hut just to the
right of the pool in Dimond Park. Additional parking is available on
neighborhood streets and in the Dimond Recreation Center parking lot. To get
to this lot, go back to Park Blvd and continue on up the hill. Turn right on
El Centro St and continue for approximately 2/10ths of a mile to the Rec
Center parking lot.From this walk simply walk down past the pool to the
scout hut.

Wishing you a very happy Winter Solstice from everyone here at FOSC!
--
Kathren M. Stevenson
Restoration Coordinator