[fosc] A Very Successful Solstice Planting Party

Karen Paulsell kpaulsell at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 16 18:40:09 PST 2006

Thanks to the hard work of Kathren and Kristen and the many crew
leaders and all our great volunteers, we had a very Successful and
Splendid Solstice Planting Party today.   We planted at 8 sites,
(Demo Garden, 5 in Dimond Canyon, Barry Place, and Escher Creek) and
put about 1900 plants in the ground, with a crew of about 60
volunteers. Are we hot?

We could have planted more, actually! Many crew finished  planting
early, and did a bit of clearing, mulching, and other useful stuff.
The planting went quicker than usual, because of all the prep work
done by staff and volunteer crew leaders -- they moved plants down
from the nursery and distributed them to their exact planting places
over the 3 days before the event.  This staging took a lot of effort,
but really paid off in increased productivity today. So thanks to all
the crew leaders: Laurie Kunit (Demo Garden), Kathren and Kristin
Ohlson (Dimond Canyon Riparian), Mark Rauzon (Dimond Canyon Upland),
Chris Burmester (Benevides), Kristen Hopper and me (Dimond Canyon
Scrub) Chicory Bechtel (Dimond Canyon Trailhead), Sheelah/Paul/John
Bowers, Barry Place) and Herb and Adrienne Bryant (Escher Creek.)

After all their hard work, the scattered crews regrouped at Dimond
Rec Center (many thanks to Michelle, Rec Center Director, for letting
us use the space) for a short talk about FoSC's restoration work,
followed by a lunch of pizza, lasagna, salad and lots of sugary
desserts! Compared to our usual barbecues at the Scout Hut, sit-down
lunch in a warm, bright room was a treat!

Special thanks also to the kitchen crew -- led by Barbara Goldenberg,
with help from Rosemary, Kathren and me, and the many volunteers who
stayed to help leave the place spic and span.

A note about the plants: if FoSC had bought them, the wholesale price
for 1900 (of various sizes) would have been about $7,000. But these
aren't plants you can get at your local garden shop.The pretty, showy
plants could be bought from local native plant nurseries. But the
less charismatic species, though equally important in our local
biodiversity, could only be gotten by paying a hefty premium to have
them collected & grown, or the way we do it -- with FoSC staff and
volunteers collecting seeds and cuttings, and growing them in our own
nursery.  So one more thank you: to the seed collecting crews and
nursery volunteers who work year-round to collect and propagate our
local species.

And -- we've had 2 previous planting days this year, with another 950
plants in the ground! We're way ahead of last years totals already.
We're hot, all right!