[Fosc] frogs

Janet Broughton broughton at berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 16 13:00:21 PDT 2008

I've lived on Sausal Creek at the end of Hickory Street since 1990,
and I'm quite concerned by the fall-off in Pacific chorus frogs in
the past couple of years.

During the 1990s, the pattern was that you could hear a few frogs
here in March and April, a strong chorus in May, June, and July, and
then none by mid-August.  Starting in 2000, you could hear the first
frogs earlier in the year, in February and even late January.  During
2006, 07, and 08, there have been only a few frogs to be heard all
summer, and fewer with each successive year.  It's my impression that
the fall-off started a year or so earlier a bit upstream, at the
Woodbine/'Pleasant stretch of the creek.

I just read
this:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2008/08/12_extinction.shtml
but don't know whether any of it is relevant to local
conditions.  I've wondered whether our rising trout population is
contributing to the decrease in the frog population.  Or could it be
chloramine from our water supply that has made its way into the
creek?  Global warming?  Any theories?

Janet Broughton