[Fosc] What a Watershed!

Mjrauz at aol.com Mjrauz at aol.com
Sat Jan 19 15:58:41 PST 2008

Birding today in the watershed was a cool event. Cold even. Bird were quiet
but in the canyon, Kristin Ohlson, Suzanne Rauzon and I saw a sharp-shined hawk
and a red breasted sapsucker -cool birds!!   At the mouth of Sausal Creek we
found high tide and a swift outgoing tide piled up the ducks under the bridge.
We saw 80 surf scoters, 30 lesser scaup (new to the list) and one common
goldeneye.

We were very pleased to see the Bay Trail improvements have completed their
work at the mouth of the creek. In fact we were blown away by a metal mosaic of
the Friends of Sausal Creek logo imbedded in the cement, above the metal
letters reading. Here Sausal Creek enters the San Francisco Bay. There are a new
pavement, new mahogany and steel benches, even some of the homeless camp
rubbish was cleaned up.

At East 24th, we stopped to view the remarkably transformed corner park, with
a new sign and many young oaks and native plant filling up the fenced corner.
Thanks to Sheelah Weaver and clan and John Bowers for all your TLC here.

At William Wood Park, the birds were more active as the day was decidedly
warmer and we saw 17 species in 10 minutes. We also visited the McKillop Slide
next to the park and saw the tragic houses slipping into the creek bank. Looked
like the recent rain didn't help.

The recent storm also wrecked havoc at our nursery, destroying our shade
structures. FOSC will be   focusing on our infrastructure -so stayed tuned.

AND THIS IS ONLY THE BIRD TEAM REPORT- THERE WAS A WORK DAY AS WELL!! RIGHT
KATHREN?

Mark J. Rauzon
Friends of Sausal Creek-Board President
4701 Edgewood Ave.
Oakland, CA 94602
mjrauz at aol.com
510-531-3887

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.