[Fosc] [FOSC] A sad farewell to the Benevides oak tree

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:50:51 PST 2008

I met with Martin (City of Oakland) and David (Benevides resident) this
morning to have a look at the fallen tree and the slide below. The verdict
is that the tree will not survive, as too much of the root crown has been
destroyed. It will be removed by the City of Oakland to reduce the fire
danger associated with leaving the tree to brown. We discussed the
possibility of planting some willows at the toe of the slope (down near the
creek level) to help with stabilization there. Also creating a new
visually-pleasing, entrance to the trail, with flowering shrubs like sticky
monkey flower on the uphill side of the trail. We are looking forward to a
planting day at Benevides soon, to reinstall the garden at the turnaround
and to plant the erosion blanket below. Stay tuned for details on this. The
City is hoping to remove the tree soon so as not to impact our fresh starts
that will soon be growing on site. After the tree is removed, we will want
to look at the storm drain pipe again and see if there is anything further
that can be done to minimize future erosion there.
Kathren

On Jan 28, 2008 5:21 PM, <Mjrauz at aol.com> wrote:

> It is a sad day on one of the last large oaks fall. Luckily it fell away
> from the trail and still might survive since some of its roots are still
> intact.  This event is significant since the recent land slip occurred
> virtually under the tree. The ground here was saturated.  This event
> underscores the problems with city street storm draining water into the
> slopes above the creek. FOSC currently has a grant to access the drains
> dumping in the watershed. But what could have been done to prevent -if it
> was preventable- this is anyone's guess.

Kathren M. Stevenson
Restoration Program Director