[Fosc] Earth Day Event Locations- Come volunteer with us this Saturday, at one of 5 great locations!

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:01:14 PDT 2008

*EARTH DAY IN THE SAUSAL CREEK WATERSHED*

This Saturday, April 19th, at various locations- choose your favorite!

*FOSC has restoration events going on this Saturday at 5 great locations in
the watershed. You will find a great place to participate, whether you live
along Fruitvale, in the Dimond district, or up in Piedmont Pines. Check the
locations below for details. We look forward to seeing you this Saturday!*

* *

* *

*Dimond Park*

8:45- noon, with lunch following

Meet at the Scout hut in Dimond Park for our annual Earth Day clean-up
event. Now that the rainy season is over, we can start tackling the
invasives on slopes leading down to the water. Cape ivy beware! There will
be lots of projects in which to participate. RSVP to join in and/ or to lead
a crew: field at sausalcreek.org.

*Directions to the **Dimond Park Scout Hut:*

>From Hwy 580, take the Park Boulevard exit, and turn north, towards the
hills. Go 1 mile (through the Glenview District) and turn right
on Wellington. There are a few parking spaces at the corner of Wellington
and Canon St. From this entrance you will see the Scout Hut just to the
right of the pool in Dimond Park. Additional parking is available on
neighborhood streets and in the Dimond Recreation Center parking lot. To get
to this lot, go back to Park Blvd and continue on up the hill. Turn right on
El Centro St and continue for approximately 2/10ths of a mile to the Rec
Center parking lot. From this point, take the stairs downhill and turn left,
walking past the pool, to the scout hut.

*Friends of Sausal Creek Nursery*

9:00 am-noon

Consider meeting at our Nursery in Joaquin Miller Park for a morning workday
where we'll help make the nursery beautiful for our busiest day of the year,
our annual plant sale Sunday April 27th. We'll be weeding, staging,
labeling, and pruning. Contact Molly at nursery at sausalcreek.org with
questions.

*Directions to the Nursery (Joaquin Miller Park):*

1) To get to the Nursery from Hwy. 13 take the Joaquin Miller exit and turn
east up the hill.

2) 3/4 miles after passing Hwy13, turn left onto Sanborn This turn is
easiest to find turn by looking for the sign in the median of the road that
says "Native Plant Nursery". 3) The road is labeled Sanborn to the left and
Robinson to the right. Note that Sanborn Rd. loops and connects to Lincoln
further below but it's not a real road entrance.

4) Drive through the park until you come to a fork in the road. The road to
the right will be blocked with a yellow gate. Park here just off the right
side of the road. You can also park at the large parking lot to your left.

5) Walk past the gate, following Sanborn Rd. down to the nursery. At the
fork past the gate, go left. Shortly after you will see the nursery on your
left. The walk is about 1/4 mile.

*Barry Place*

9am-noon

Join us at Barry Place in weeding, mulching, and creek clean-up activities.
This is a great group of folks who look forward to meeting you! Direct
questions to John Bowers:
jbowers at coastal.ca.gov<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/jbowers@coastal.ca.gov>
.

*Directions:*

Follow Fruitvale to E. 27th Street (about 1 mile.) Turn west onto E. 27th
St. Go one block. Turn right at Barry Place and park.

* *

* *

*Beaconsfield Canyon*

9am-noon

This Saturday, April 19, marks one year of volunteer work in Beaconsfield
Canyon, and we've made a huge difference. If you haven't seen it in a while
(or even if you have) please join us on Earth Day, April 19, from 9-12.
We're extending trails, identifying native and non-native plants, and
clearing new areas for planting and fire maintenance. Bring work gloves and
pruning tools if you have them or use ours if you don't. Wear sturdy shoes
and long pants. No experience necessary. Every volunteer makes a big
difference. For more information, contact Richard Kauffman at 531-1237 or
richard at rkcommunications.com.

*Directions:*

>From 1-580 or Hwy 13, go east on Park Blvd. toward Montclair Village. Go
south on Mountain and bear left as it becomes Ascot Drive. At the fork, turn
left on Chelton, then right at the second intersection--Beaconsfield Place.

*Shepherd Canyon*

9am-noon

Shepherd Canyon Park is a 34 acre Open Space Resource Conservation Area
which is Part of the Sausal Creek watershed. We will be removing rubble from
the Escher Creek Bed, so that it can be used for trail improvement, and also
clearing invasive plants before they go to seed around the perimeter of the
upper meadow next to the creek. This will help to protect the native grasses
and wildflowers that have been planted there.  Contact Adrienne with
questions at bryantah at lmi.net<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/bryantah@lmi.net>
.

*Directions:*

We will meet at the Escher Gate. Turn right off of Shepherd Canyon Road onto
Escher Drive. Escher is the first road on the right going uphill from the SC
Soccer Field. Go about 1/4 mile up Escher Drive and you'll see the Escher
Gate on the right.

--
Kathren M. Stevenson
Restoration Program Director