[Fosc] FYI: Creekside home next to ours 4 sale: ideal for lovers of Sausal Creek, Dimond Park, local wildlife.

Edward Goehring ebgb at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 4 01:26:06 PDT 2008

   Re 3906 Canon Ave  --  Our next door neighbor has been forced to sell the house he spent a year remodeling and fine-tuning for
himself and his girlfriend :(
   Sad all around, because he's about the best neighbor we've ever encountered.

   But our neighbor's bad luck can be good fortune to someone who loves Sausal Creek, which flows along the back of the property,
and/or to someone who would like to be able to walk to Dimond Park at the end of our block, or to  businesses at Fruitvale &
MacArthur. You can even 'walk' to downtown San Francisco via the regular transbay buses running along MacArthur.
   Canon Ave is a friendly, connected block, with a weekly potluck open to all neighbors, an occasional garden plant exchange, and a
child-care co-op that has functioned for years. Neighbors here look out for each other and keep an eye on homes while their
neighbors are away at work. Many neighbors are civically active, serving on Dimond/Glenview committees dealing with crime, disaster
readiness, creek protection, support for local parks & libraries, etc.

   Speaking for ourselves, my wife and I hope to see someone buy this house who will respect their portion of Sausal Creek and act
as a creek steward (including protecting the daily-sighted trout, frequent raccoon visitors and dozens of bird, reptile and
amphibian species constantly in the area).
   And no, we don't get a financial reward for helping our neighbor sell; we're just trying to help a nice guy who's gone out of his
way over and over to be a good neighbor. Like I said, we'll be sorry to lose him, but we hope to find another good neighbor to move
in :)

   We hope too, that a new owner would respect the history of the home as well: Sausal Creek was a source of food and fresh water
for the native Ohlone long before European settlement arrived in the late 1700s. By 1897, Canon Avenue was a street that dead-ended
at the Dimond estate, now Dimond Park. Beyond the end of Canon was otherwise undeveloped grassy hillside and arroyos, with oak and
redwood groves.
   The home's 20th century history is worth knowing too; we've been told by the family that originally owned the house that it is a
pre-1906 summer home, subsequently 'upgraded' like many on Canon. And also like many summer homes in Oakland, the house was
eventually occupied year-round by families forced to relocate after the destruction of their homes in San Francisco's 1906
earthquake. The house was occupied for over a hundred years by the Erickson family, with its last resident being the late Mary
Erickson. Mary was born in this house and spent her entire life in it. She died last year at over 100 years old. Mary's neighbors
and the home's present owner have preserved and transplanted some of Mary's century-old garden here and there in the neighborhood or
in their original location.

  The present owner is an artist and he's put tremendous effort into turning the home into a one-of-a-kind residence, with a
separate studio room off a large deck that overlooks Sausal Creek -- while still keeping the porch lamps and ''look'' of an early
1900s home from the street. Do check the realtor's site for interior pictures :)

http://www.tksvc.com/3906/canon

   It's just our opinion, but this home seems most suitable for a couple who want some creekside peace and quiet.

   The home is currently open for viewing on Sundays from 2-4. Thomas Kelem is the realtor, at 510 658-8044.

Edward Goehring
On Canon Ave

PS At the end of this email is a list of the animals (mostly birds) that my wife and I have seen along the creek bank and in the elm
and redwood trees behind 3906 Canon. Enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Realtor Info:

Home for sale: 3906 Canon Ave, Oakland

http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/homes-for-sale/CA/Oakland/3906-Canon-Ave-12_40324944.htm

Price: $589,000

    * Bedroom: 2
    * Bathroom: 2
    * Year Built: 1918
    * Lot Size: 3066
    * Square Footage: 1018
    * List Date: 2/17/2008
    * Garage Spaces: 0
    * MLS#: 40324944

Features for 3906 Canon Ave, Oakland
Property Type	Detached
Floor Plan	Other, One Story
Lot Description	Irregular, Creek Front
Architecture	Cottage
Amenities	Mirrored Closet Door(s)
Master Bathroom	Updated Baths, Tile
Non-Master Bathroom	Other, Tile, Updated Baths
Kitchen	Counter - Stone, Updated Kitchen, Dishwasher, Range/Oven Free Standing, Double Oven, 220 Volt Outlet, Breakfast Bar,
Microwave, Breakfast Nook, Refrigerator, Gas Range/Cooktop
Appliances	Washer, Dryer
Fireplace	Living Room, 1
Laundry	In Closet, Washer, Dryer, 220 Volt Outlet
Garage/Parking	Off Street Parking
Yard/Ground	Deck(s)
Foundation	Crawl Space
Exterior	Wood Siding
Cooling	None
Heating	Forced Air 1 Zone, Baseboard
Flooring	Wood, Hardwood Floors, Tile
Roof	Composition Shingles
View	Water
Level - Street	Main Entry, 2 Baths, Laundry Facility, Master Bedrm Suite - 1, 2 Bedrooms
Listing Agent	THOMAS KELEM
Listing Office	QUEST REAL ESTATE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sausal Creek Wildlife Sighted 2005-2008

Bewick's Wren
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse