[Fosc] dog fight

mjrauz at aol.com mjrauz at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 19:34:53 PDT 2008

Another ugly incident, I heard rather than saw. I was on the upper trail when I heard aggressive barking in the distance.  Below me was a law abiding mom with a stroller and two dogs on leash. The barking got closer and suddenly one of the leashed dogs was attacked and bitten by two free running dogs owned by another woman. It was pathetic. The attacked woman cried as her dog was bitten. As the other woman proceeded away from the scene. The victim almost hysterical confronted her and asked if she even cared about what had happened to her dog.

This follows another incident - a man on the trail told me that he tasered a dog that had attacked his leashed dog. The man told he that he doesn't consider it safe anymore on El Centro trail to bring his child!

It doesn't take much to imagine this happening to a child.  This day is coming and it really makes me wonder if we are not seeing the Tragedy of the Commons played out before our eyes. This comes from a paper of the same name by Garrett Hardin, Science Vol. 162: 13 Dec. 1968.

"Tragedy lies in the solemnity of the remorseless working of things"  "The day of reckoning comes when the inherent logic of the commons remorselessly generates tragedy...Freedom in a commons brings ruin to all." An exaggeration?

What can be done? More enforcement of leash laws, poop laws, human and canine decency? What will it take?

Mark Rauzon

President of the Board