[Fosc] dog fight

Brent englund at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 00:04:01 PDT 2008

I don't think it's a problem of lazy OPD. I saw a ranger on Bridgeview
trail two weeks ago week, walking from Monterey down to Bridgeview Rd.
He says he does the hike a couple times a month. I talked with the same
ranger at Red Boys Pizza last Wednesday night.  The Oakland Bike Patrol
(who are OPD volunteers) ride through the canyon weekly - 150+ hours in
Dimond and JMP so far this year. Looking through the OBP ride logs and
off leash dogs are reported on almost every ride. Almost without
exception, folks site that there are no signs and they didn't realize
Dimond is a leashed park. There is no sign at the Benevides trail head,
and poor signs at Monterey and Bridgeview. (One women told me the other
day that the sign on Bridgeview said "please" so it was just a
suggestions - go figure :-( .) We would do well to try and increase the
signage and volunteer patrols. For the most part we can expect little
help from an over burdened police department struggling to put officers
on the streets, much less patrol the canyon.

Brent