[Fosc] Unleased dogs and Dimond trails

bacpab at comcast.net bacpab at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 15:35:05 PDT 2008

I just spoke with Oakland Animal Control about the issue of unleashed dogs on the trails along the creek.  Animal Control is a  part of the OPD, but ticketing jurisdictions vary as Parks and Rec can be involved, etc.

She recommended that anyone attacked, or who has their dog attached, immediately file a report with Animal Control.  If the person in violation won't cooperate, she said that  following them back to their car and getting a license plate number will allow OPD to indentify the person through DMV.  Repeat offenders can eventually have their dogs confiscated.  At  minimum, some one will eventually go out and talk to them and issue a citation.  The rabies vaccination status of the dog will also be checked, and there is a penalty and quaranteen if it is not up to date.

The number for Oakland Animal Control is (510) 535-5602.  We may consider trying to post this along with signs indicating that all dogs are required to be on lease.

There is also a permit required to walk more than 3 drugs at the time.  It hasn't been enforced much yet, but is on the books.

Thank you, Councilwoman Quan, for contacting Kent the Ranger about this issue.  Keeping the agencies involved informed and getting better signage can lead to everyone using the trails safely and responsibly.

Patricia Bacchetti, DVM
FOSC Board member