[Fosc] Fall Events You Won't Want to Miss

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 08:57:29 PDT 2008

Hi all,
FOSC staffers have outdone themselves to bring you an amazing fall calendar.
The larger events are highlighted. Additional dates are below. Let us know
if you have any questions as to how you can get involved (our contact info
is at the end).

*FALL CREW LEADER TRAINING AND POTLUCK, September 4, 2008*

Crew leader training and potluck: Dimond Park. This event is for both new
and seasoned crew leaders. Anyone who led crews in 2007-2008 or who is
interested in leading crews in 2008-2009 is invited to attend. We will have
a training for new crew leaders from 5:00-6:00 pm. Topics included will be
Plant Id, Methods of Plant Removal, Safety, and Volunteer Conduct. Then we
will light up the bbq and have a fantastic celebration from 6-7:30 pm. Bring
your favorite grillable and a side dish to share. RSVP to
field at sausalcreek.org.

* *

*CREEK TO BAY DAY, S**eptember 20, 2008*

*Dimond Park: 8:30 am-12:00 pm, with lunch following. *We will meet up at
the Dimond Park Scout Hut between 8:30 and 8:45 and will split into groups
to work on exciting restoration projects in the area. This is a great day to
come out and show your support for protected watersheds in the
urban-wildland matrix. We will work 9-noon; afterwards lunch will be
provided. Email Kathren at field at sausalcreek.org to RSVP or for more
information. This event is great for families and is accessible by public
transportation.

*Other Creek to Bay Day work sites in the Sausal Creek Watershed include:*

·         Joaquin Miller Native Plant Nursery:  9:30 am-12:30 pm, Contact
Molly at nursery at sausalcreek.org

·         Barry Place:  9:00 am-noon, in the Fruitvale District, Contact
Kathren at field at sausalcreek.org

·         Beaconsfield Canyon: 9:00 am-noon, above Montclair, Contact
Richard at richard at rkcommunications.com

·         Shepherd Canyon: 9:00 am-noon, also above Montclair, Contact
Adrienne at 339-0985 or bryantah at lmi.net

* *

*Native Plant Sale and Open House**, Sunday October 26, 2008*

Coming up Sunday, October 26, 2008, is our next native plant sale, from
10:00 am and 3:00 pm. Come by to purchase an array of native plants, just in
time to plant for our winter rains. Come learn more about plant propagation
at the 11 a.m. workshop, or get some general ideas for garden design at 1:30
p.m. Native plant experts will be available all day with practical ideas for
all spaces, to help you pick appropriate plants for your specific planting
area. Also, join in on the raffle for Patagonia clothing, books, and check
out the community information tables. Also on October 26, FOSC will host an
open house, between 3:00-5:00 pm, where we'll celebrate the construction of
a new shade house for the plants and unveil plans for continued renovations
at the nursery.

* Nursery Propagation Training Sessions**, November 2008*

Starting this November, FOSC will hold a four-session propagation training
for anyone, 14 or older, to learn basic botany, ecology, plant
identification, and propagation techniques.  To enroll, attendees commit to
attend three of four classes and 12 workdays over the next year as a
propagator or crew leader.  The fee for the Propagation Training is on a
sliding scale, from free to $20, and everyone who completes the classes and
workdays gets a FOSC t-shirt. Classes will be held at the JMNP Nursery on
Sundays in November, 12:00-3:00 pm. You're guaranteed to have a lot of fun
while you learn more about growing native plants (and help FOSC by
volunteering your time at our nursery, too!).

* *

* WINTER SOLSTICE PLANTING PARTY, Saturday, December 13, 9:00 am-noon*

Winter Solstice Planting Party: Dimond Park. Meet at the Scout Hut in Dimond
Park to help us celebrate the darkest day of the year by planting hope for
the future. There are many native plant starts waiting for your hands to
place them in the ground. In the restoration cycle, planting is some of the
most fun we'll have all year! This event is great for families and is
accessible by public transportation. Please email field at sausalcreek.org to
RSVP for this event.

*Restoration and Nursery Workdays*

* *

*Restoration Work Days in Dimond Park/ Dimond Canyon (Meet at the Scout Hut)
9:00 am-noon*

9/20, 10/11, 11/8, 11/22, 12/13

* *

*Other Restoration Work Days: Redwood Workdays 11:00 am-1:00 pm, all others
9:00 am-noon*

9/6 (Redwoods Site), 10/25 (Nursery), 11/15 (Grasslands Site), 12/6
(Redwoods Site)**

* *

*Propagation Work Days at the JMNPN 1:30-4:30 pm unless noted otherwise
below: *

9/6, 9/20 (9:30-12:30), 9/27, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25 (9:30-4:30), 11/8, 11/15,
11/22, 12/6, 12/13 (planting)**

* *

*Seed Hike Days: *

9/5, 9/19, 10/10, 10/31 (wear a costume), 11/14, 12/5

* *

*Propagation Training Days (Pre-Registration Required) Sundays in November,
12-3 pm*

11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/23

* *

*Contact Us*