[Fosc] end of an oak

mjrauz at aol.com mjrauz at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 13:08:20 PDT 2008

Finally, the old oak in the Demonstration Garden fell. As you may remember it dropped a major branch in 2005 and has been sickly for a long time. Last week or so, it snapped off at the main trunk and fell into the demo garden. This oak was about as old as the Dimond Oak, and one of the last big ones from another era. There's one old giant oak still in the park center at  the picnic tables.

FOSCs restoration director Kathren Stevenson and I were scouting around for Creek to Bay Day coming up on Sept. 20. Please mark your calanders.

We were noticing just how dry the creek is, and have not seen it as dry since 2000 when the old cement sewer line was replaced with plastic that prevents the creek from flushing away. Some of the big trout pools were dry but we managed to find some small and one large fish. Also saw fall migration starting. Swainson's thrush an a Pacific slope flycatcher were bathing in the pools.

We have an active fall restoring the Dimond Park gardens so we need your help. Please come out.

Thanks.

Mark Rauzon

FOSC Board President