[Fosc] Pallid Manzanita

Ralph Kanz rkanz at sonic.net
Thu Sep 18 14:46:03 PDT 2008

In 1994 there were 21 pallid manzanita at the Chabot Space and Science
Center.  Today, after finding another plant dead, eight remain alive.
Three or four of the surviving plants are in very poor condition and
will likely die in the next year.  When the building was approved in
1995, Chabot agreed to manage pallid manzanita on the site to ensure
their survival in perpetuity.

For a number of years FOSC has worked to improve the habitat at the
Chabot site and at the nearby adopted site.  This year we had 46 pallid
manzanita seedlings appear at the adopted site as the result of work we
did in 2004. After consulting with the Department of Fish and Game (DFG)
they requested that we cease activities around pallid manazanita until
we obtained a permit from the Department.  Chabot has completed a draft
management plan for the manzanita on their site, but they have not yet
finalized it and obtained permits from DFG.  DFG suggested that FOSC
activities be rolled into the permit for Chabot.

At this point there are further steps we could undertake to improve the
habitat for the species, but we cannot start without the DFG permit.
Chabot seems in no hurry to complete the management plan they promised
to complete before they started grading the site for construction.  And
the plants continue to die in perpetuity.

 From Chabot's website:

    /Our Mission/

    /Chabot Space & Science Center inspires and educates students of all
    ages about our Planet Earth and the Universe./

    /Its observatory, planetarium, exhibits, and natural park setting
    are a place where a diverse population of students, teachers, and
    the public can imagine, understand, and learn to shape their future
    through science./

Pallid manzanita was listed as an endangered species but he State in
1979 and threatened by the US Fish and Wildlife Service in 1998.  There
are approximately 1200 plants left.  And the number continues to decline.

Ralph Kanz