[Fosc] Pallid Manzanita

Nancy A Jones jonesna at juno.com
Thu Sep 18 15:01:42 PDT 2008

Can we get a permit for our adopted site that is NOT tied to Chabot since
they're clearly not interested in taking proper care of the plants on
their land?

Nancy Jones
jonesna at juno.com

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:46:03 -0700 Ralph Kanz <rkanz at sonic.net> writes:
In 1994 there were 21 pallid manzanita at the Chabot Space and Science
Center.  Today, after finding another plant dead, eight remain alive.
Three or four of the surviving plants are in very poor condition and will
likely die in the next year.  When the building was approved in 1995,
Chabot agreed to manage pallid manzanita on the site to ensure their
survival in perpetuity.

For a number of years FOSC has worked to improve the habitat at the
Chabot site and at the nearby adopted site.  This year we had 46 pallid
manzanita seedlings appear at the adopted site as the result of work we
did in 2004. After consulting with the Department of Fish and Game (DFG)
they requested that we cease activities around pallid manazanita until we
obtained a permit from the Department.  Chabot has completed a draft
management plan for the manzanita on their site, but they have not yet
finalized it and obtained permits from DFG.  DFG suggested that FOSC
activities be rolled into the permit for Chabot.

At this point there are further steps we could undertake to improve the
habitat for the species, but we cannot start without the DFG permit.
Chabot seems in no hurry to complete the management plan they promised to
complete before they started grading the site for construction.  And the
plants continue to die in perpetuity.

>From Chabot's website:

Our Mission
Chabot Space & Science Center inspires and educates students of all ages
about our Planet Earth and the Universe.
Its observatory, planetarium, exhibits, and natural park setting are a
place where a diverse population of students, teachers, and the public
can imagine, understand, and learn to shape their future through science.
Pallid manzanita was listed as an endangered species but he State in 1979
and threatened by the US Fish and Wildlife Service in 1998.  There are
approximately 1200 plants left.  And the number continues to decline.

Ralph Kanz