[Fosc] FOSC Year at a Glance- Highlights from 2008

Kathren Murrell Stevenson kathren at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 08:54:58 PST 2008

FOSC Year at a Glance

*THE HOLIDAY REPORT….*

Wow! 2008 has flown by. We have been so busy that *FOSC
Week-at-a-Glance*hasn't happened much this fall. We know you have been
getting updates
through our bimonthly newsletter, which is available in print and online.
Even so, we wanted to take a minute to connect with you all and reflect upon
everything that has happened this year.

*THANK YOU…*

First we would like to thank all of you for your help in 2008. The time you
have spent volunteering and your end-of-year contributions are greatly
appreciated. We are halfway to our end-of -year appeal goal, so if you have
not yet contributed and would like to, please send your tax-deductible
donation to The Friends of Sausal Creek via our online donation system or to
the P.O. box listed on our website: http://www.sausalcreek.org.

We also thank our funders for 2008-2009: Alameda County Flood Control, PG&E,
the Mary Crocker Trust, The Coastal Conservancy, Wells Fargo Foundation,
Clorox Foundation, the San Francisco Bay Fund, the State Water Quality
Control Board, East Bay MUD, Alameda County Clean Water Program, the Rose
Foundation, and our many other ongoing partners, including the City of
Oakland, the Sausal Creek Environmental Council, Building with Books,
Student Conservation Association, Earth Team, McCutcheon Construction, and
Jansport.

*RESTORATION AND EDUCATION….*

In the restoration arena, our Monterey Redwoods restoration site is looking
better than ever. Up and down the switchbacks from the Bridgeview trail down
to Monterey Blvd, FOSC volunteers and crew leaders continued working with
Earth Team, Lawrence Hall of Science, and Skyline High School to clear the
area of invasive plants and replace them with native redwood understory. We
have been working diligently to protect the soil in this area, installing
erosion control blankets and wattles to hold the slopes while our new plants
become established. As you walk through, please encourage folks to keep
their dogs on the trail (on leash is best, as our canine friends do tend to
be curious).

Work at our grassland restoration site has been progressing steadily. This
year we worked with the City of Oakland to ensure that the goats grazing in
Joaquin Miller Park did not disturb our grassland plantings or the important
plant populations we depend upon for seeds for our restoration efforts. This
was a huge project that involved setting up grazing exclusion areas, making
recommendations for grazing frequencies and intensities at various
locations, and mapping areas by recommended treatment.

Through our restoration committee, we have continued to seek ways to educate
watershed residents on how water quality is affected by their actions at the
curbside. We published a fish-kill flyer to show the direct consequences of
improper waste disposal on wildlife in the watershed. The flyer was
distributed at our Earth Day event and was made available on our website.
The Sausal Creek Environmental Council, a group helping with outreach in the
lower watershed, recently translated this flyer into several languages and
will be distributing it to watershed residents.

In Dimond Park and Dimond Canyon, we held many education and restoration
events. Creek-to-Bay Day was the biggest, with somewhere around 275
participants. At one of our events, Oakland High School students helped
remove invasive plants and toured restoration sites, learning about each
phase of the restoration cycle. We finished the day by looking at the
well-restored riparian area adjacent to the El Centro trailhead that
previous classes of OHS students had worked on. This year's class was
clearly impressed by the continuity of the school's efforts and realized
what a difference can be made by such seemingly small contributions of elbow
grease.

*NURSERY…*

Our native plant nursery had its biggest year ever. In addition to growing
all the plants we needed for restoration efforts, we had a very successful
fall plant sale—our first at that time of year. We also held a month-long
master propagators class where folks learned (for free) about ecology,
botany, and the ins and outs of plant propagation. It was so successful,
there is already a waiting list for the next class, which has not yet been
scheduled.

Finally, we are working steadily on our nursery infrastructure improvements.
The new shade house will be completed in the next few months, along with a
new water tank to provide a more reliable water source and new overhead
irrigation for our plant starts. A new path through the nursery growing area
is almost complete, and we have received some of the necessary funding for
the third phase of our improvements: a new education/ propagation pavilion.
These improvements will increase the number of plants we can grow for
restoration projects, native plant sales, and school garden projects and
ensure that more plants survive.

*2009…*

These are just a few of the projects we have been working on this year. In
2009 look for our completed watershed plan, additional outreach in the lower
watershed, continued capital improvements at the nursery, changes in the
demonstration garden in Dimond Park, continued progress with the
conservation of rare and endangered species (such as the pallid manzanitas),
and for volunteer opportunities on our new, easy-to-navigate Google events
calendar.

*Happy Holidays, and we look forward to seeing you in the new year.*

The FOSC staff and Board of Directors

Kathren M. Stevenson
Restoration Program Director