[Fosc] Pallid Manzanita

Ralph Kanz rkanz at sonic.net
Wed Feb 24 13:07:38 PST 2010

It can now be officially declared that the population at Chabot is down
to five individual pallid manzanita, from the 21 found in 1994, and that
the Chabot Space and Science Center does not intend to honor the terms
of the MOU they signed with the Department of Fish and Game.  As Dean
Sparks' email of January 26, 2010 made clear, Chabot will not place a
conservation easement on the property, even though it is a requirement
of the MOU, and would be consistent with the 1995 EIR that requires
Chabot to manage the population in perpetuity.  Without the conservation
easement, the project will not fulfill the requirement for management in
perpetuity.  This leaves those of us who want to move forward with
actions to assist this species in a predicament, since implementation of
all of the MOU'is requirements is necessary to allow FOSC to take
management actions.

How as an organization are we going to move forward on this?  We need to
be able to implement a plan with sound science that will help lead to
the restoration of the habitat for this species.  I believe we need to
approach DFG and obtain our own permit, and no longer associate with an
organization that does not seem committed to this process.

Ralph Kanz