[Fosc] Pallid Manzanita

mjrauz at aol.com mjrauz at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 12:29:01 PST 2010

Ralph and all interested in manzanitas,
First of all it is a very sad state of affairs that so many plants have perished on the Chabot campus in 15 years time. It has been disappointing to watch this and feel frustrated.

That said, we as a board are committed to working with Chabot to try to solve this problem. There are significant moneys set aside by the Wildfire Assessment District to radically reduce the canopy of fast growing invasive and native trees that have shaded out the manzanitas. This tree removal is actually slated for this spring, and I hope this is not postponed. Every postponement makes us more cynical, and I can't blame you for feeling mislead. However, I believe the event will occur, if it survives public comment, and the overstory will allow manzanita habitat to be restored. The light shock may have killed the shaded manzanitas anyway, but I hope the the seedlings can regenerate in the new conditions. I believe Chabot is committed to making this happen.

FOSC is also having our nursery soils tested for potential pathogens that affect propagated manzanita. A clean bill of health will allow us to consider outplanting in appropriate habitat.

The CIty has also promised FOSC a day or tree removal at the Joaquin Miller manzanita site.

While these mitigation's may not satisfy your requests, I believe FOSC is moving in a positive, responsible manner to network with larger organizations to accomplish manzanita management in perpetuity. As Buckminster Fuller said, things always happen seem to get saved at the last possible moment, and sadly here, our best hope is this occurring again. If it doesn't however, then FOSC will reconsider remaining options. And thanks Ralph for your stewardship on this issue and keeping us focused.

Mark Rauzon
Restoration Committee