[Fosc] Much lushness!

Eddie Dunbar InsectNet at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 22:07:58 PDT 2010

Mark -

This is the beginning of a great year for the watershed. Last year I saw a
rather substantive increase in the insect biodiversity wherever I visited in
the state. I think the rains from the preceding winter helped. With the
rains from this El Nino year I am expecting to see even more!

Last Saturday I was leading a bug hunt in Joaquin Miller Park. Amongst the
insects we observed was a glowworm (Coleoptera, Phengodidae). I was
astounded. I have never seen a glowworm from Alameda County - I thought our
county was too dry. When I worked on Cal Berkeley's Insect Hotline we got
tons of calls from lush Marin County about these creatures, but never a
single one from Alameda County. Since the females do not fly these creatures
must have been in the watershed all along. I have wondered if there is a
formal or any published record for what is here. Our watershed hosts
incredible biodiversity. The ongoing restoration work is important to that
biodiversity. Keep up the good work FOSC!