[Fosc] Historical Nesting

Ralph Kanz rkanz at sonic.net
Wed Apr 28 10:53:03 PDT 2010

Based on what I have seen, read, and heard, we have Pergrine falcons
nesting on the Fruitvale Bridge, and the babies have hatched! Martha and
I stopped by on Sunday and saw the adult birds flying. The nest, high up
on the Alameda tower, is visible from the Oakland side of the Estuary.
Does anyone know if there are any historical records of Peregrines
nesting in the Sausal Creek watershed? In 2008 we had the first recorded
spawning of steelhead in the Alameda Creek watershed in 46 years. (I am
the Conservation Director for the Alameda Creek Alliance.)  How many
years since Peregrine falcons nested in Oakland?  One of the adults at
the Fruitvale Bridge was hatched at the San Jose City Hall nest. There
is a great photo gallery that includes pictures of the babies:
http://www.raptor-gallery.com/2010_04_24PM/index.htm

There are also Peregrines downtown, with birds sitting on the State
building, and Monday morning a bird was seen on the clock on City Hall.

Ralph Kanz