[Fosc] May calendar

megan hess meghess80 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 10:19:47 PDT 2010

A huge thanks to all who participated in Earth Day with FOSC this year!  Throughout the watershed on April 17th, 245 volunteers successfully managed to remove over 20 cubic yards of invasive species and 45 bags of trash, while trails were created, mulch was dispersed, fallen trees were safely removed, native species were planted, and many trees were freed from strangling ivy!  If you'd like to join us in continuing these efforts along the creek or at the nursery, please take a look at the upcoming events listed below.   Thanks again for all your support and hard work!

Upcoming Events with FOSC
Summer program:  Spread the word that FOSC is hosting a free Summer program in July for Oakland middle school students, which will focus on environmental education and habitat restoration.  This is a great way to earn community service hours while learning about the watershed.  Applications can be viewed at http://sausalcreek.org/pdf/FOSC_Summer-Program.pdf.

Nursery Work Days at the Joaquin Miller Park Native Plant Nursery, 3594 Sanborn Rd, Oakland, Saturdays: May 1st, 1:30-4:30pm, May 15th, 1:30-4:30pm, & May 29th, 9am-12:30pm  Join the Friends of Sausal Creek for a morning or afternoon of nursery construction projects, native plant propagation, and maintenance.  Bring layers and water; we provide tools, gloves, instruction and snack.  Drop-ins welcome.  Minors need a guardian to sign a waiver.  Contact Megan at field at sausalcreek.org to RSVP.

Restoration at Shepherd Canyon Park: Saturday, May 1st, 9am-11am  Join us on the first Saturday of each month at Escher Gate (on Escher Drive) in Shepherd Canyon Park from 9-11 am to continue restoration of an area once used as a dump.  We will continue our work with clearing blackberry vines, vinca minor, broom and thistle.  Other activites include trail maintenance, spreading mulch on trails and replanting with native plants.   Bring gloves and small tools if you have them.  Dress in layers and wear sturdy shoes. Directions and other details listed on the FOSC website events calendar at http://www.sausalcreek.org/volunteer/calendar.html.

Wood Park Cleanup and Potluck: May 8th, 9am-noon  WD Wood Park, just below 580, north of Fruitvale Ave.  Come help us make Wood Park beautiful, safe, and clean!  Snacks, tools, and volunteer training will be provided.  Call if you have questions or to RSVP for groups.  Crew leaders: Lisa Lemus and Phillip Wong, (510) 534-1480 or lemuswong at aol.com.

Creek Restoration Work Days in Dimond Park: 3860 Hanly Rd., Oakland, Saturday, May 15th, 9am-noon  Join FOSC to remove invasive species and clean-up the creek.  We’ll meet at the Scout Hut (between the basketball court and restrooms) at 8:45am to sign-in and grab tools. Be prepared for any type of weather and wear layers.  Tools, gloves, instruction and snack provided; please bring a refillable water bottle and sun protection.  Minors need a signed waiver to participate.  Contact Megan at field at sausalcreek.org for more information, or to RSVP for groups of six or more.

Beaconsfield Canyon Work Day: Saturday, May 29th, 9am-noon  Help restore this canyon gem in the heart of Montclair.  Volunteers clear fallen debris, pull invasive plants, plant and mark natives and extend trails.  No experience necessary.  Wear sturdy shoes or boots and long pants.  We meet at the end of Beaconsfield Place (closest address is 2639), second street on the right as you go up Chelton from Ascot Drive.  For more information, contact Richard Kauffman at (510) 531-1237 or richard at rkcommunications.com.

Bi-Monthly Meeting  Wednesday, May 19th, 7-9pm at the Dimond Library, 3565 Fruitvale Ave.  Come learn about the Sausal Creek watershed’s denizens of the night – owls and bats – and find out how you can support them.  After the presentation, we’ll stroll over to Dimond Park to see what we can find.