[Fosc] Vanishing Birds of the Bay Art Exhibit at State building in downtown Oakland

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Tue May 25 09:22:08 PDT 2010

Forwarded from ritaatart at sbcglobal.net:

I'd like to invite you and your members to my new exhibit of Vanishing
Birds of the Bay that opened May 18 and runs to June 24.

An exhibit of paintings of birds of the San Francisco Bay Area, by
award-winning local artist Rita Sklar (www.ritasklar.com
<http://www.ritasklar.com/>) highlights the vanishing birds of the bay
area and beyond.  Birds are important indicators of the overall health
of our environment. Like the proverbial canaries in the coal mine, they
send an urgent warning about threats to our water, air, natural
resources, and climate.

Severe bird declines are the result of lost habitat, invasive species,
polluted water, and changing climate.  Efforts to restore nesting and
feeding grounds, ban pesticides and halt development in sensitive
wetlands and other migratory stopovers have brought back the California
brown pelican, the peregrine falcon, the bald eagle and other birds.

Rita Sklar's wildlife paintings have been featured at the Lindsay
Wildlife Museum, the Oakland Zoo, and Tilden Park Education Center.  Ms
Sklar received a commission from the Alameda County Art Commission and
two grants from the Oakland Cultural Arts Fund.  Her paintings have been
selected into national shows by acclaimed jurors.  She has received over
twenty-five awards for artistic excellence.

*When*:  May 17, 2010 to June 25, 2010

*Where*:  Craft and Cultural Arts Gallery at the State of California
Office Building

1515 Clay Street, Oakland, CA

*Hours*:  Open during regular business hours Monday through Friday 10 am
to 5 pm.

*
Receptions:*

*Thursday, June 17 from 5 pm to 8 pm Meet the Artist and hear from the
Golden Gate Audubon Society*

*Music by the Kitchen Sync*

* *

*Free* and open to the public.  Wheelchair accessible

*This exhibit was made possible by a grant from the City of Oakland
Cultural Arts Funding Department.*

See my paintings at www.ritasklar.com <http://www.ritasklar.com>

e-mail:  coordinator at sausalcreek.org
web:  www.sausalcreek.org