[Fosc] [Fwd: Env. Ed Event 9/23]

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Wed Sep 22 12:17:42 PDT 2010

    Tomorrow night!

    *Earth Island Presents**
    *
    * Earth Island  Presents...
    *and
    *The Center for Ecoliteracy
    *invite you to join us for
    *'A Simple Question:
      The Story of STRAW --
      Students and Teachers Restoring a Watershed'
    *Thursday, September 23, 7 p.m., Doors open at 6:30 p.m.*Tickets:*
    $10 -- $20, Youth tickets under 21 years old $5 -- $10.
     Purchase tickets *now* <http://earthisland.org/events/restoration>
     or atthe door on the night of the event
    .in the
     Richard & Rhoda Goldman Theater
      The David Brower Center
      2150 Allston Way in Berkeley
       We'll screen The Bay Institute's award-winning film (30-min.)
      A Simple Question: The Story of STRAW -- Students and Teachers
    Restoring a Watershed.
     Join us for this this remarkable and inspiring documentary is about
    fourth grade students in Marin County and their inspired teachers
    taking on the challenge of saving the endangered California
    freshwater shrimp and restoring a watershed.
    Earth Island Institute's director of Restoration Initiatives, Ariana
    Katovich will host a dynamic panel discussion with; Zenobia Barlow,
    Executive Director and Cofounder of the Center for Ecoliteracy,
    Sandy Neuman, the Principal at Brookside Elementary School when the
    film was made, and Laurette Rogers Watershed Education Director for
    the Bay Institute.
    The award-winning film 'A Simple Question: The Story of STRAW --
    Students and Teachers Restoring a Watershed'  is part of the How On
    Earth project <http://www.how-on-earth.org/> . How On Earth is
    sponsored by Filmmakers Collaborative SF.For more information call
    510-859-9100.
    Media Inquiries: Kevin Connelly at press at earthisland.org
    <mailto:press at earthisland.org>  510-859-9155.
    Location: Brower Center <http://www.browercenter.org/>  is located
    in downtown Berkeley across from the UC Berkeley campus one block
    from Downtown Berkeley BART
    <http://tripplanner.transit.511.org/mtc/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&itdLPxx_homepage=secondStep>
    <http://tripplanner.transit.511.org/mtc/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&itdLPxx_homepage=secondStep>
    .
      Parking available at Oxford Garage
    <http://www.cityofberkeley.info/contentdisplay.aspx?id=8268>  (2161
    Kittredge, under Brower Center).

    *earthisland.org/events/restoration
    <http://earthisland.org/events/restoration>
    *
    *About Earth Island Institute:
    *Earth Island Institute <http://www.earthisland.org>  grows
    environmental leadership through education and activism. Our
    projects, publications, and initiatives support the biological and
    cultural diversity that sustain the environment. Earth Island was
    founded by environmental visionary, David Brower [1912--2000], in
    1982. Today, we are the organizational home to a diverse network of
    more than 50 issue-focused environmental education and advocacy
    projects.
    *About Earth Island Institute's Restoration Initiatives Fund:
    *Restoration Initiatives <http://restoration.earthisland.org/>
     supports community based wetlands restoration projects throughout
    southern California by funding the Small Grants Program of the
    Southern California Wetlands Recovery Project to restore wetlands,
    educate communities, and build organizational capacity.
    *About Center for Ecoliteracy (CEL):
    * CEL <http://www.ecoliteracy.org/about-us/vision-and-mission>
     supports and advances education for sustainable living. We believe
    that schools play a pivotal role in moving us beyond our growing
    environmental crises and toward a sustainable society. We recognize
    schooling for sustainability as a process that fosters abundant
    living on a finite planet and makes teaching and learning come
    alive. We bring a passion to our work that stems from our conviction
    that the best hope for learning to live sustainably lies in
    schooling that returns to the real basics: engaging with the natural
    world; understanding how nature sustains life; nurturing healthy
    communities; exploring the consequences of how we feed and provision
    ourselves; caring about the places where we live and the people and
    creatures in them.We are inspired by the growing movement of
    educators, parents, and community members who embrace this vision.
    * About The Bay Institute:
    * The Bay Institute <http://www.bay.org/about-us/mission>  was
    founded in 1981 by pioneers of a new advocacy approach which viewed
    the entire Bay-Delta ecosystem as a single, interdependent
    watershed. They claimed that environmental reform benefiting the Bay
    must recognize the importance of events in the farthest reaches of
    the watershed just as urgently as those along the Bay shoreline, and
    that reduced freshwater flow was the biggest factor in the decline
    of the estuary's fish and wildlife resources. Our mission is to
    protect, restore and inspire conservation of San Francisco Bay and
    its watershed from the Sierra to the sea.

    *About San Francisco Film Makers Collaborative:
    * San Francisco Film Makers Collaborative
    <http://www.filmmakerscollaborative.org/>  mission is to produce
    innovative films and public information campaigns that foster
    education, awareness, and civic participation to help create a more
    sustainable, peaceful and just world. We strive to create compelling
    viewer experiences that provide balanced, thoughtful debate, build
    credibility, increase media exposure, educate the public, and
    catalyze citizen involvement resulting in positive change.

    *About Earth Island Institute Presents...
    *Earth Island Institute Presents... hosts a monthly speakers series
    on the third Thursday of every month in the Richard and Rhoda
    Goldman Theater at the David Brower Center in Berkeley. Please mark
    your calendars and keep apprised of our upcoming events at
    earthisland.org/events. Join us every month for these insightful
    conversations with inspirational thought leaders discussing the most
    pressing environmental issues of the day.
    Save the date and join us for the 11th Annual Brower Youth Awards on
    October 19th at the Herbst Theater in San Francisco as we honor six
    new environmental activists!BYA 2010 Opening Reception Online Ticket
    ($100 each) Purchase Form <http://earthisland.org/bya/VIPtix> .BYA
    2010 Award Ceremony Reservation (free) Online Registration Form
    <http://earthisland.org/bya/ceremonyregistration> .
    Earth Island Institute
      at the David Brower Center
      2150 Allston Way, Suite 460
      Berkeley, CA 94704-1375 USA
      Phone: (510) 859-9100 / Fax: (510) 859-9091