[Fosc] Bioassessment Monitoring, Sunday, Feb. 5, 9 a.m.

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Thu Feb 2 12:57:59 PST 2012

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Please join the bioassessment team for aquatic insect monitoring this
Sunday, February 5, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.  The team will gather at the Scout Hut
in Dimond Park and team member Travis Peterson will discuss the team's
findings so far, analyzing this data alongside data collected in 2000.
The team will then split into two groups, one to perform monitoring in
Dimond Canyon, and the other will go to Palo Seco Creek to perform
monitoring.

RSVPs are encouraged so enough handouts can be prepared, please.  RSVP
to Kathleen Harris at kathalini at comcast.net.  Please note that this
event is for adults only.

Attached is a report from the team's January monitoring.  The report is
also copied below for listserv digest recipients who cannot receive
attachments.

A huge thank you to Kathleen Harris and Travis Peterson for their team
leadership!
Kimra

****_
_*

  *_Interesting Findings from January Insect Monitoring_*

*Two sites in Dimond Park show very different insect counts*

On January 8^th , eight volunteers performed samplings of Sausal Creek
for aquatic benthic macroinvertebrates in a continuing effort to assess
the overall health of the creek.Benthic Macroinvertebrates (BMI's) are
animals without backbones, such as insects, worms, and snails that live
in the creek for some or all of their life cycle.

We sampled two separate sites in Dimond Park: a section of the creek
just below El Centro across from the Tot Lot, and a section below
Wellington Street, on the other side of the culvert.This site is of
particular interest to us because of the upcoming "day-lighting" of the
section of the creek below Wellington Street.We want to get good
before-and-after samples to see what effect the restoration has on that
section of the creek.

The Wellington site team: Lou, Amit, Travis, and Gene
Not shown, the Children's Play Structure team: May, Michelle, Carol, and
Kathleen

The sampling consisted of three "kick samples" at each of the
locations.To perform a kick sample, one volunteer positions a net across
an area where the water is flowing nicely.Then a second volunteer
disturbs the area just upstream of the net, moving the rocks, and
digging fingers into the sand and sediment to get all of the little
invertebrates that live in the rocks and sand into the net.Next, the net
is emptied into a bin, and the invertebrates are sorted and counted
according to the type of organism that they are.Finally, the
invertebrates are placed back into the creek, so they can continue with
their lives.

We found interesting differences between the two sites, although these
sites are not really that far apart.Here's what we found (and here's a
link to an EPA document that more fully explains what we're doing here,
http://water.epa.gov/scitech/monitoring/rsl/bioassessment/ch07b.cfm):

*below Wellington*

*Children's Play Structure*

*total BMI's*(all of the organisms we saw)

28

238

*total insects*(just counting insects)

10

205

*% insects*

36%

86%

*EPT total*(Ephemeroptera/

Plecoptera/Tricoptera--sensitive

families of insects)

3

155

*% EPT*

11%

65%

*Total Taxa*(total different types of

Organisms seen--an index of diversity)

8

12

You can see that there are some differences in our data between
sites.What does it mean?It certainly seems like there are far fewer
organisms below Wellington Street, and that the types of organisms found
are different in the two sampling sites.

But, of course, this is only one sample.So we need to repeat sampling at
these sites at least one more time.And this data doesn't tell us
anything about WHY these differences occur.

Our next sampling is Sunday, February 5^th (9 a.m.-1 p.m., meet at the
Scout Hut in Dimond Park). We are going up into Joaquin Miller Park to
sample an area that was part of the bioassessment effort some years
back.That site will be away from roads and culverts.We will also
continue sampling in Dimond Park to get an idea of the numbers and types
of organisms we can expect to find in the creek.

You can join us!Contact Kathleen Harris: e-mail kathalini at comcast.net.

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org
web: www.sausalcreek.org