[Fosc] past Sat. birding & Earth Day

Mark Rauzon mjrauz at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 08:18:02 PDT 2012

This last Saturday, 5 folks joined the bird monitoring on a fabulous day. Bryan Olney, Hilary Powers, Maggie Fleming, Kurt Kazek and Suzanne Rauzon, toured the watershed and saw 55 species. The best bird was an Acorn Woodpecker at the top on the ridge at Fern Ravine, a new one for the watershed. Common in interior valleys, they are rare bayside. It was probaly a migrant and we saw plenty of those in Dimond Park as well as late migrants. We had 4 Wilson Warblers, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, and s Yellow-rumped Warbler at one time as well as a late Fox and White-crowned Sparrow there.

Also here's an interesting background on our neighboring watershed, where the World's Rainbow Trout came from:

http://sanleandro.patch.com/articles/the-water-king-dams-san-leandro-creek#photo-9480033

Finally, this weekend is Earth Day in the Watershed.Find a project and join in the fun.

See you out there.

Mark Rauzon