[Fosc] Aquatic Insect Monitoring Team Presents on Wed., 5/16, 7 p.m. Dimond Library

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Mon May 14 15:48:28 PDT 2012

Don't miss hearing from FOSC's aquatic insect monitoring team leaders
Travis Peterson and Kathleen Harris this Wednesday, 7 p.m., at Dimond
Library, 3565 Fruitvale Avenue.  Their talk is entitled "Bugs Know Best:
What insects can tell us about the health of Sausal Creek."  We'll start
the meeting with a brief update on the restart of FOSC's water quality
monitoring program.

Travis will talk about basic creek ecology, why we do bioassessment
using benthic macroinvertebrates, and the basics of insect larva
structure.  Kathleen will discuss the five different families of insects
that we see most in Sausal Creek--where they live and what they do for a
living.  We can look at samples under the microscopes that Holy Names
University is lending us.  A flyer is available at
http://www.sausalcreek.org/pdf/FOSC_Member_Meeting_Flyer.pdf .

*Travis Peterson *is a geographic information systems (GIS) analyst.  He
has worked in a number of industries, including environmental services,
engineering, and renewable energy.  His work is usually focused on a
holistic approach to solve or mitigate complex issues.  He began
studying aquatic insects at Portland State University and spent his
junior and senior year taking every class that was offered on insects,
biological monitoring, and aquatic ecology.  His studies at Portland
State University culminated in the award of a grant to complete an
honors thesis to study the effects of human activities on the aquatic
insect community.  Travis enjoys being outdoors, especially exploring
new places.  "Whenever I find myself in a creek, I always flip over a
rock to see if I can identify what insect is living underneath."

*Kathleen Harris *worked for 40 years in cell biology and biotechnology
before retiring in 2010.  She lives about four blocks from Sausal Creek
and plans some of her retirement activities around protecting her
favorite neighborhood spots on the creek.  On the first Sunday of each
month you'll find her co-leading FOSC's aquatic insect monitoring
program.  On the second Sunday of each month, Kathleen leads volunteers
in liberating native plants along the Bridgeview Trail.

Please invite your friends and neighbors.

Thank you to the volunteers who make possible our monitoring programs!

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org
web: www.sausalcreek.org