[Fosc] birding results! and potluck reminder

Mark Rauzon mjrauz at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 14:53:37 PDT 2012

Hi Friends,
 We had a mellow day bird monitoring yesterday in the watershed. It was like the summer was on vacation, starting cool and foggy. But as usual by the end of the trip we had experienced much. For instance at the Fruitvale bridge, a harbor seal, and one of the three peregrine fledglings (http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p859914566/h313990e0#h313990e0), a pair of song sparrow parents feeding the chicks a damselfly, a gorgeous male Hooded Oriole at Wood park, one of the Cooper hawk fledglings, but most exciting was at the top o'the watershed. At Fern Ravine, where a lot of restoration has taken place, we saw a California Quail family, dad, mom and two chicks. while another quail was at Cinderella trail.

The Friends will be having a summer get-together up there this wed, See you there and we'll look for quail together.

A reminder that our second annual Meet & Greet and Potluck is coming up next week.  Last year it was a wonderful summer evening gathering at our native plant nursery with FOSC volunteers, board members, and staff, and leaders from other community groups.  This year we are meeting at the Fern Ravine restoration area.  We are excited to celebrate all of the progress at this unique site, where headwater wetlands connect to the Joaquin Miller Park redwood forest.  Thanks to Aidells, we will have sausages to get the festivities going.

Please bring whatever potluck dish you would like to share.  We'll have compostable plates and utensils, but we encourage folks to bring their own reusable place setting.

WHAT:  Friends of Sausal Creek Meet & Greet and Potluck

WHEN:  Wednesday, July 18, 6 p.m.

WHERE:  Horseshoe Picnic Area near Sequoia Arena, Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland

DIRECTIONS:  Take Joaquin Miller Rd. to Skyline Blvd. Turn left. Go one mile and look for the sign on your left marking the Sequoia Arena parking lot. Turn left into this lot and park near the entrance or drive around the wetlands to the parking area near the restrooms. We'll meet at the Horseshoe Picnic Area above the wetland.

CONTACT:  Kimra McAfee, coordinator at sausalcreek.org, (510) 501-3672

A flyer is available at http://www.sausalcreek.org/pdf/FOSC_Member_Meeting_Flyer.pdf .

Please invite a friend and consider carpooling!

Thanks,

Number of Species
40

Number of Individuals
151

Number of Checklists
9

Highest Count for a Species   (sample size)

Species Name
Jul
1-5
Jul