[Fosc] Sausal Creek Turbidity, Reminder on Reporting Creek Problems

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Thu Aug 2 18:20:26 PDT 2012

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Those of you who subscribe to some of the neighborhood listservs read
about reported water discoloration in Sausal Creek below Dimond Park
this week.  I am posting the below to the neighborhood listservs but
thought FOSC listserv recipients would also want this information.

Regarding the water discoloration/turbidity in Sausal Creek reported
last Sunday, City of Oakland Watershed Program staff believes this was
caused by an EBMUD water main break on Fruitvale Avenue near Tiffin
Avenue on July 29.  The storm drain infrastructure in this area leads
directly into a culvert that runs along the southern boundary of the
park and discharges into Sausal Creek.  There have also been reports of
an oily sheen in the creek below Dimond Park and above Wood Park; I
understand that Watershed Program staff are still investigating this report.

Here are some reminders on how you can help protect Sausal Creek.  You
can also find these reminders on the FOSC website at
http://www.sausalcreek.org/contacts/report.html .

*Report sewer leaks* immediately; if you smell strong odors or see
discolored water in the creek, contact the City of Oakland Public Works
Call Center at (510) 615-5566 or pwacallcenter at oaklandnet.com
<mailto:pwacallcenter at oaklandnet.com>.

*Report water main or fire hydrant breaks* immediately to (866) 40-EBMUD
(866-403-2683). Water from EBMUD is toxic to fish, amphibians, and
aquatic insects because it contains chloramine as a disinfectant.

*Report dumping in progress* immediately to *911*.
*
For removal of debris, graffiti, or fallen trees, *contact the Public
Works Call Center at (510) 615-5566 or pwacallcenter at oaklandnet.com
<mailto:pwacallcenter at oaklandnet.com>, or submit a report online
(http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/PWA/Connect/ReportaProblem/index.htm).
Make sure the name of the trail is specified and, if possible, some
landmark or intersection (e.g., Sunset Trail near the stone bridge;
Dimond Trail halfway between the Monterey Blvd. trailhead and the
Bridgeview trailhead).

/Using a mobile app or computer, Oakland residents can now send a
picture of illegal dumping, graffiti, potholes, or other infrastructure
problems directly to the Public Works Agency along with a message and a
GPS location.  Download SeeClickFix app
(http://www.seeclickfix.com/oakland/) to a cell phone and the report
will go into the Public Works system.  PWA will fix the problem and
report back to the SeeClickFix user.
/
Please also email me or call FOSC at (510) 501-3672 to inform us about
anything that you report so that we can track the problem and follow up
as necessary.

Thank you for helping keep our creek healthy!

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>