[Fosc] Dimond Canyon Trail Project

Stan Dodson stankdodson at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 10:30:49 PDT 2012

The Dimond Improvement Association
(DIA), Friends of Sausal Creek (FOSC), and the Dimond Business &
Professional Association (shopdimond.com) have teamed up to restore, enhance, and
promote the *Dimond Canyon Trail System. With dedicated
volunteers, trails have been widened and shored, brush has been cut back and
cleared, and I have led over 20 hiking tours in Dimond Canyon and beyond.

Volunteer trail maintenance is
on-going, but to finish the project we started over a year ago, separate DIA and FOSC
funds has been established. We plan to produce a new Dimond
Canyon trail map that will highlight all four trailheads, and will include such
details as trail names, suggested routes, and trail-segment mileage.  We
also hope to install special signage at each trailhead to educate trail users
about Sudden Oak Death (SOD), so we can all help prevent its spread.
 We've currently raised almost $1000 (thanks mostly to Oaktoberfest), but our goal is $4000, so La Farine Bakery (Dimond
location only) has made it easy to donate. Through September, the bakery will accept
donations in any $1 increment - using cash or credit card - just ask any counter person. SMALL DONATIONS ARE WELCOMED.
100% of the proceeds will be transferred to the DIA's Trail fund. To send checks directly to DIA or FOSC (for tax deduction purposes), please mail to:

Dimond Improvement Association
P.O. Box 27355
Oakland, Ca 94602

or

Oakland, Ca 94602

Please memo "Dimond Canyon Trail Project" on the check.

To learn more about this project,
please see the wall display at La Farine Bakery in Dimond, or email dimondhikes at yahoo.com

See you on the trails!

Best,
Stan

Stan Dodson
Manager, La Farine Bakery
Co-chair, Dimond Business &
Professional Association
Board Member, Dimond Improvement Association

* The Dimond Canyon Trail System
consists of approximately 2.5 miles of nature trails that stretch, twist, and
roll from Dimond Park at the bottom, to Monterey Blvd at the top, where a
tunnel under Hwy 13 connects the canyon to Joaquin Miller Park. Join this
beautiful, wooded trail system at four trailheads: at the bottom of El Centro
Ave (across from Dimond Park), at the end of Benevides Ave (off El Centro Ave),
at the end of Bridgeview Drive (off Leimert Blvd in Oakmore), and at Monterey
Blvd (between Park Blvd and Leimert Blvd). For the most current map, visit www.sausalcreek.org.