[Fosc] Watercourses Class Reminder & Sept. 8 Rain Harvesting Workshop at Chabot

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Fri Aug 31 17:33:14 PDT 2012

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

A couple of things:

1)  I know I already promoted Merritt College's Restoration of
Watercourses class in FOSC's August-September '12 Newsletter, but I just
heard from Robin Freeman that the class could get cut early next week if
several more students don't enroll.  So if you were thinking about
enrolling, or know anyone who might be interested, please do so today.
Attached is a flyer (digest folks can email me if you want a copy
emailed to you).

*Restoration of Watercourses
*ENVMT 33 AA, AB, AC (3 units) Codes: 42397, 42457, 42458
Freeman & Kaplow, SRH and field (rfreeman at peralta.edu)
Wed 6:30-9:20 PM (9/12-11/7)
Sat 10:00 AM-2:30 PM (9/22, 9/29, 10/13, 10/27, 11/10, 11/17)
Principles and practices in the restoration and monitoring of creeks and
watersheds; overview of
global water cycle and atmospheric circulation; basic hydrologic
principles and processes including
erosion, flooding, and deposition of sediment; introduction to physical,
chemical, and biological
characteristics of streams, springs, and groundwater; restoration
techniques with native plants.
*/NOTE: The Major requires taking ALL sections/codes./*
Merritt College Environmental Program www.ecomerritt.org
<http://www.ecomerritt.org>

2)  The Oakland Rain Barrel Program (ORBP) invites FOSCers to a free
rainwater harvesting workshop at Chabot Space & Science Center on
Saturday, September 8, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.  The workshop will showcase
the ORBP's large cistern project as a model of large scale rainwater
harvesting and will instruct on the full range of rainwater harvesting,
from 50 gallon barrels to 620 gallon tanks and cisterns. *It will be
hosted by Chabot Space & Science Center, where a 3,000 gallon tank is
housed, and led by ORBP subcontracted partners DIG Cooperative Inc. and
the Watershed Project. ***

*"In this free three hour workshop, we will spend the first 45 minutes
giving an overview of the fundamentals of rainwater catchment with rain
tanks and gardens, and then do a tour of the built system at the
facility. The last hour will be a hands-on session for technical
support, featuring tools, products and more for those seeking more
knowledge in this area, and a breakout discussion group."***

You can sign up for this workshop at
http://orbpchabotworkshop.eventbrite.com/ .

Enjoy the Labor Day weekend!

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org