[Fosc] Sausal Creek Restoration Project in Dimond Park

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Tue Oct 16 11:53:43 PDT 2012

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

The Friends of Sausal Creek board of directors supports the City of
Oakland's upcoming Sausal Creek Restoration Project in Dimond Park.We
are excited that the City of Oakland has procured funding to restore the
745 linear-feet of creek channel within Dimond Park.We are especially
pleased that the project will include daylighting of 180 linear-feet of
creek by demolishing and removing the existing culvert up to Wellington
Street.One of our organization's goals as outlined in the /Sausal Creek
Watershed Action Plan /is to encourage and promote daylighting of the
creek.  We regret the loss of some large redwood trees, but recognize
that removal of existing native vegetation is necessary to achieve the
long-term positive benefits of daylighting this section of
creek.Anything less might jeopardize the main reason for the project.

Approximately 10 years ago, our organization was approached by neighbors
along Canon Street whose homes abut the creek.  The relocation and
culverting of the creek in Dimond Park during the 1950s has led to
severe erosion issues with loss of their backyards and undermining of
the structures on their property.  We agreed to work with the city to
help address the serious issues that were occurring on the properties
adjacent to the creek as a result of the culvert.  In addition, we felt
this was an opportunity to make the creek more accessible for enjoyment
by the public in the lower part of the park. *Leaving the creek in its
current location is not possible as the city could potentially be
considered liable for damage to surrounding homes.*  The city worked
with a hydrologist and landscape architect to find an acceptable
solution that would both address the erosion issues and enhance the
access to the creek throughout the park. While, unfortunately, this
project would require the removal of native trees and the habitat they
provide, after working with the city on restoration of the creek above
El Centro, we feel strongly that the area can be restored in a way that
actually enhances the park and habitat for wildlife.

We have reviewed the Demolition and Tree Protection plans from the Bid
Set (Sheets L1.1 and L1.2) and recognize that, unfortunately, 79 trees
will have to be removed in order to achieve the project goals of
creating bank and channel stability.  This includes the removal of 32
native trees, including up to 21 redwoods.  We understand that the
removed trees will be replaced with an appropriate mix of fast-growing
native trees that will begin to quickly replace this temporary loss of
habitat, eventually resulting in significant improvements over current
conditions in the functioning of the aquatic and riparian ecosystems.

We see many benefits from this project:  it will addresshouse foundation
erosion issues and stabilize creek banks to resolve undercutting issues
on adjacent private property; it will improve water quality and enhance
riparian habitat, benefiting the native rainbow trout; and it will
install an ADA-compliant walking path, a creek overlook point, and
interpretive features that will provide increased creek accessibility
and promote watershed awareness.  Further, the new restrooms will
enhance Dimond Park.

We hope that many of you had the opportunity to learn about this project
through the City of Oakland's public meeting in April 2011 and at the
City of Oakland's tours of the site in December 2011.  Our
October-November 2012 newsletter has an article on the project
(http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs145/1106683795891/archive/1111211266070.html).
The city is offering another tour of the site on Saturday, October 20,
at 10 a.m.  Attached please find a flyer; listserv digest recipients,
please email me to request the flyer be emailed to you individually.
Please see the city's website for additional project information
(http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/PWA/o/FE/s/ID/OAK024753).

Thank you,
Kimra McAfee
Executive Director