[Fosc] Dramatic Fruitvale Falcon UPDATE!

Mark Rauzon mjrauz at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 13:07:28 PST 2012

On Monday, Haya flew from Richmond in one straight shot to the Fruitvale bridge.  In previous days, the most she flew was 4 miles total and usually not more than 1.5 - 2 miles per trip.  So her conditioning really improved.  She flew there at 3:30 Monday afternoon.  

Unfortunately, she encountered the resident female at the bridge and they engaged in a fierce battle with both of them falling to the bridge deck and from there into the water where they continued to battle.  The report from the bridgetender was that one flew out of the water and one had to swim to shore.  The report was that the one who had to swim was light breasted which would have been the resident and not Haya, who is rosey breasted.

But when we got there, it was Haya in the mud under the bridge and the resident falcon was in top of the tower above her.  Haya looked ok, just wet and muddy.  It was nearly dark when we got there.  The tide was coming in and we hoped that she would move to the shore when the tide came in.  We also realized that if she came out from under the bridge, the resident falcon would see her and would go after her again.  

After dark, two things happened:  she came out to shore and hopped up on a rock.  Almost immediately after that, Hiko (the male) flew to the Alameda tower.  Haya saw him and started chupping at him very loudly.  At that, the resident falcon started to strafe Haya (and us at the bridgetenders shack).  All 3 peregrines were chupping at each other.  The other falcon came in a knocked Haya off her rock, tumbling her into the water.  She immediately climbed back onto the rock.  The falconer we were with (the person who rehabbed and flew her to condition her) said 'that's enough.  I'm going to get her'.  He took off his shoes and socks and walked to her and picked her up while Haya was concentrating on the other falcon.  

We took her to Lindsay Wildlife where her eyes and face were washed.  She got antibiotics and anti-imflammatories, then got a bath and blow dry and was put into a cage to be assessed the next day by the vet.  She had no fractures and her feathers are perfect.  She had a couple of scratches which have since healed.

She will get a do-over tomorrow after resting and eating well since Tuesday.  We expect she will not go back-----as least we hope she has survival as her biggest priority.  

Submitted by falcon-watcher Mary Malec- thank you!

Mark Rauzon

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.sausalcreek.org/pipermail/fosc-sausalcreek.org/attachments/20121215/9c5aa1c3/attachment.htm>

More information about the Fosc mailing list