[Fosc] creek question

Karen Paulsell kpaulsell at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 29 12:26:30 PDT 2012

Directly above this culverted section, and above the Bridgeview Trail
is the landslide on the PG&E right-of-way.  The big bare patch, with
the power towers, fennel and pampas grass, and the power lines
directly overhead.

The best guess I've heard is that when the landslide blocked the
creek, the easiest solution was to culvert the creek rather than
remove the soil.  The construction looks like WPA-vintage work. See
this  photo from January 2008:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KarenPaulsell/SausalHydro#5759541341021528770

I wonder if that culvert is a barrier to fish passage? If you look at
the FOSC watershed plan Hydrology chapter, page 61 of:
http://www.sausalcreek.org/Plan/SCWEP03_NatResources2_Hydrology.pdf
you can see this culvert, between the Leimert Bridge and the Golf
Course culvert.  From checking the scale, it looks like it rises 12
feet over a length of about  190 feet.   But the downstream spillway
looks like the biggest fish issue.